Saturday, January 21, 2012

No need for a cherry on top

"milk and honey"
Numbers 14:8

I'm not a coffee drinker.  Just never got into it.  I enjoy hot tea, and when I meet friends at my local Ubiquitous Coffee House, I sometimes choose hot cider, but usually, I'll have hot chocolate.  I also love having hot chocolate on cold nights, at home.  And since I drink a lot of it over the course of the winter, I'm a pretty good judge of hot chocolate.  A lot of places think they can pour brown powder in a cup, and add hot water and call it hot chocolate.  But they're not fooling me.  And I had one the other day that was waaay too sweet.   But the ones that are good, are really good.

A few weeks ago, I had to be at a meeting first thing in the morning.  Someone planned ahead of time to get some coffee from our local Ubiquitous Coffee House, and they asked me if I wanted some hot chocolate.  I said, no but thanks anyway.  It wasn't necessary, I didn't need it, no point in spending the money etc.  But she insisted.  Said she was paying, and she wanted to treat me, etc.  So I agreed.  And I gotta tell you, that morning, as I was driving to her house, I was sooo looking forward to that hot chocolate.  It was chilly out, and I knew the hot chocolate would be, well, hot.  And creamy and chocolatey.....

I arrived at my friend's house, and my coffee-buying friend arrived a few minutes after I did. 

Without the hot chocolate. 

She forgot. 

I mean, I guess she forgot.  I didn't ask.  I didn't want to embarrass her, or make her feel bad.  So when she handed out cups, and didn't hand one to me, I didn't even flinch.  No surprised expression; nothing.  You can expect to hear my name announced when they do the Academy Awards. 

And can I tell you, how disappointed I was to not get that hot chocolate that I didn't even want in the first place??

I got over it fairly quickly, but I was really surprised at my reaction.  How could I have missed having something that I haven't even wanted to begin with?  I think this is how Steve Jobs made his fortune ~ convincing people they wanted things they really didn't need. 

And come to think of it, it's the way of the world.  Bigger houses, better cars, more money, more stuff.  None of which we need; much of which we want.   

God's idea of sustenance is simple.  Manna sufficed for the Hebrews in the desert.  Bread and water is what He prescribes for us: Bread of Life and Living Water.  And His promise beyond the necessary, is the land flowing with milk and honey.  What more could we need?  What more should we want?

~ "If the Lord delights in us, 
then He will bring us into this land 
and give it to us, 
      'a land which flows with milk and honey.' " ~
Numbers 14:8

No comments:

Post a Comment