Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Prayerlessness

"far be it from me
that I should sin against the Lord 
in failing to pray for you"
1 Samuel 12:23

I talked to a friend today, and she didn't scold me or shame me at all. 

But she should have.

Nor did God strike me down with lightning, or smite me with His fearful wrath. 

Though He could have. 

I'm so glad He's longsuffering!

My friend and I had a nice chat today, and as we were finishing our conversation, we were sharing with each other the ways that we would appreciate prayers from one another. 

I asked her to pray for a doctor's appointment that I have later this week, and for my schedule ~ that I would prioritize the way God wants me to, not the I want to. 

She asked for prayer a situation going on in her life, but she prefaced it by saying, "I'm sure you're already praying for this..." Then she gave me some details that were new to me. 

But the thing is, I wasn't already praying for that. 

And I should have been. 

I knew the situation was going on, but frankly, I didn't even think about praying for it.  It's not really a problem situation, but that doesn't mean it doesn't need prayer, cuz it does.  It needs prayer so that it doesn't become a problem, and so that she and the other people involved will grow through the situation, and learn what He has for them. 

There was an expectation on her part that I was praying for her, and I think she was right to expect that of me.  I know we can't be praying for everything that's going on in the world.  But the things we should be praying for, we should be praying for!

She didn't scold me or shame me, because she didn't know that I'd let her down, prayer-wise. 

I don't know why He hasn't smote me down.  Forgiveness, I guess.  And patience.  And He knew that when I came to this realization, I'd take steps to right the problem. 

But shame on me. 

~ "praying always
with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit,
being watchful to this end
with all perseverance
and supplication for all the saints" ~
Ephesians 6:18
~

No comments:

Post a Comment