Friday, December 6, 2013

I came, I saw, and I really wasn't all that interested...

"all my desire"
Psalm 38:9

We ran some errands the other day ~ did a little Christmas shopping ~ and decided to stop in to a store we've never been in before. 

It's fairly new in this neck of the woods.  I think I saw one in San Antonio when we were visiting family a year ago, but it's only been here a few months. 

I've heard nothing but good things from friends.  They were excited one had opened near us, and I kept overhearing people say what wonderful treasures they'd found.  Or I'd visit a friend, and compliment her on something pretty in her house, and she'd tell me she got it in that store.  Or I'd be chatting with a friend from church or Bible study and they'd tell me they'd been there, and they'd found this or that, and had I checked it out yet?

But I avoided it.  Our budget doesn't have room for cute little things, and tchotchkes and I didn't want to torture myself by going in and finding things I couldn't have.  So I just didn't go.

Well the other evening we went.  The Apple of my Eye wanted to check it out and we thought we might find a Christmas present or two for a loved one. 

It was really nice.  It was interesting and varied in a way I didn't expect.  We enjoyed wandering the aisles and pointing out things to each other.  And I did buy something for a friend. 

But you know what?  I really didn't want anything.  I admired things, but didn't have any great urge to buy.  Isn't it so nice and freeing to be able to just appreciate things without coveting?

I love the feeling of contentment. 

~ "be content with such things as you have.
For He Himself has said, 'I will never leave you
nor forsake you.'" ~
Hebrews 13:5
~

No comments:

Post a Comment