Thursday, January 9, 2014

Q & A. But mostly Q.

"Have you considered My servant Job?"
Job 2:3

So, as I've mentioned, we've started studying the Book of Job in my Bible study.  It's a tough book to read, I think, partially because it's rather depressing because of all that happened to Job.  Of course, getting through the first 37 chapters leads you what I believe are four of the best chapters in all of Scripture.

I also think it can be hard to get through because it can seem like the same thing chapter after chapter.  Bildad, Eliphaz, Zophar, each having their say, Job responding, then repeat as needed.  But, as I say, just get to chapter 38, and it's all worth it.

Of course, Job is an incredibly valuable book.  We learn things in Job that we wouldn't know otherwise, about God's authority, and the power and work of satan.  And we are reminded of God's might and majesty, His wisdom, and that He is worthy of our faith.

But the main reason I love this book is the questions.  We get to see Job's frustration at the turn his life has taken, and that frustration includes a lot of questions.

Some are rhetorical, asked not of anyone in particular, such as, "Why did I not die at birth?" (3:11) and, "What strength do I have, that I should hope?" (6:11)

Others are directed to his friends, challenging their words to him, such as: "Shall your words of wind have an end?" (16:3) 

Still others are directed at God, or would be if Job was allowed to talk to Him the way he wanted to, like:  "Does it seem good to You that You should oppress?" (10:3) and "Why do you hide Your face and regard me as Your enemy?" (13:24)

I love questions.  So I love that God loves questions.  I love knowing that even when the wondering is frustrated, and directed at Him, He's okay with it.   

And the Book of Job also shows us that we will get answers.  They may not be when we want them; in fact, our timing might be way off of His.  And the answers may not be what we want to hear.  When God does get around to answering Job, He doesn't even respond to all of Job's wonderings.  He simply reminds Job who is God, and who is not. 

God is wisdom.  God is knowledge.  Sometimes that reminder is all the answer we're going to get.  It might not be the answer we want, but it's always the answer we need. 

~ "that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ,
the Father of glory,
may give to you the spirit of wisdom
and revelation in the knowledge of Him" ~
Ephesians 1:17
~

No comments:

Post a Comment