Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Forced Sunrise


"His splendor was like the sunrise; rays flashed from His hand where His power was hidden"
Habakkuk 3:4



I was forced to see the sunrise this morning.  I rarely see a sunrise unless I am forced.  Not so much a morning person. Maybe I should become a coffee drinker...  I am a big fan of sunsets, though.  No two are quite the same, and you never know what the dominant color will be.  And the view is sometimes entirely different from my front yard to my backyard.  I take a lot of pictures of a beautiful sunset, because I have the urge to capture it.  We only get one per day!

At any rate, I was up while it was still dark, to take my husband to the airport, and the drive home allowed me to appreciate the beauty of the sun coming up.  There were some clouds, too, which I love.  The sunlight plays games with them, and they add color and dimension to the painting.  So much more interesting than a cloudless sky, if you ask me!

And yet, if I had my way, I would have missed this sunrise.  I would have still been blissfully warm and cozy under the covers.  I choose to miss most sunrises, for that reason.  And it made me think about other aspects of my life that are forced.  Things I would not choose, but that God has chosen for me.  Only having two children was not my choice.  Wonderful Hubby and I wanted four, but it was not to be.  And now, I wouldn't have it any other way.  

We are going through a struggle that is not my choice, either. We are being forced to walk a path that God has chosen for us.  And, I must admit, we are both seeing beauty on this path.  It is strengthening our marriage, it is strengthening each of us, and it is strengthening our children.  And that's just what we can appreciate now, while we're in it.  I know that when this trial is past, we will look back, and have an even better perspective on what God was accomplishing.  

I may be a little sleepy today, but I'll be able to think about that sunrise.  I'm grateful for the reminder, once again, that while I may have plans in my heart, it is His purpose that prevails.  I pray I'll always remember to find the beauty in plans that weren't my idea.  And maybe, just maybe, tomorrow I'll choose the sunrise!

No comments:

Post a Comment