Monday, January 31, 2011

Ain't no such thing as flyin' solo...

"With the help of the Lord..."
Genesis 4:1

I have read the Book of Genesis countless times in my life, but I never really noticed this verse before.   These are the words of Eve, after the birth of the very first baby.  Most of us have been intimately involved in the miracle of birth, whether your own child, or that of a friend or relative.  And no one would argue how amazing and wondrous it is.  For most women, there is a great deal of pride in the accomplishment, because -- let's be honest -- it's not easy.  They don't call it "labor" for nothing.  We sit around at baby showers or birthday parties, or even PTA meetings, bragging and comparing stories.

But if pressed to admit we didn't do it on our own, the ones we are going to credit with helping us are a devoted husband who stood by with ice chips and a cold washcloth, or the doctor who made a difficult birth happen, or the anesthesiologist who made it easier.   Most of us, if we're not busy taking all the credit for this precious gift ourselves, would say something like, "With the help of a human being, I have brought forth another human being...."

But while God is generally credited with the creation of a new life,  He is rarely credited with the bringing of that new life into the world.  Especially if the birth is routine.  We're concentrating on panting and counting and guessing the weight.

Eve had such a beautiful realization.  The whole thing was new to her.  No midwife; no advice on "what to expect".   Just her and God.  And maybe Adam.  Who knows?   But she recognized that she could not have done it without God.  And I realized that while I give Him credit for creating my children, I do not give Him credit for His role in helping me give birth to my children.  And I certainly don't give Him credit for the smaller things in my life.  I ask for His help in advance of something big or difficult, but I don't always thank Him afterward.    I'd like to get better about that.

And I'm going to start today.

Every morning, after I read my Scripture for the day, I choose one verse from my reading, and I write that at the top of my to-do list.  That way, as I refer to this guideline for my day, I'm reminded of that verse that touched my heart.  And what better thought to go with a to-do list than to be reminded that I'm not going to get any of it done without His help?

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.  And I can do nothing without His help.

1 comment: