Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Is This Thing On?

"The Lord did not answer..."
1 Samuel 28:6

King Saul started off okay, but when he started to slip, it was quite a downhill slide.  1 Samuel 15:10 says "Now the word of the Lord came to Samuel, saying: "I greatly regret that I have set up Saul as king, for he has turned back from following Me, and has not performed my commandments."

This verse leaves me cold.  But it's nothing compared to chapter 28, verse 6, which says, "And when Saul inquired of the Lord, the Lord did not answer him."  This verse fills me with dread, as I thought of what it would be like if God were silent to us.  Sometimes we feel as He is, but I don't truly think that He is.

In the time of Saul, there were two ways that He generally revealed His word and His will to His believers.  One was through dreams and visions, and the other was through prophets; sometimes a personal prophet, like Nathan was to David.  He also spoke through the parting of the Red Sea, and through a burning bush, but He doesn't speak to us that way anymore.  He's already done that, and anyway, it would scare the heck out of us.

As I think of the myriad ways God speaks to us, I wonder how it would be manifest if that ceased.

What if He didn't speak to us through fellowship?  What if going to church left us drained and empty, as if we just finished filling out our 1040 form?  What if the sermon was done in another language, and we sat there, straining to hear a familiar word?

What if He didn't speak to us through our children?  With their simplicity, and being so fresh from God, they can often see a tree when all we can see is the forest.

It makes me ache to think of the void there would be in my life if He didn't speak to me through the Bible.  I remember when my children were learning to read, and what if that's how the Bible looked to me, all gibberish and letters I recognize, but in no coherent order?

Or what if they were words, but entirely uninspiring to me, like reading a very personal letter that is meant for someone else?

What if He spoke to us only by appointment?  Communicating with us is not something He has to do.  There will come a time when He won't.  When He will have given all the chances He's going to, for sinners to listen.  Proverbs 1:24 says "I have called and you refused; I have stretched out My hand and no one regarded."  And in verse 28, "Then they will call on Me, but I will not answer; they will seek Me diligently, but they will not find Me."  Psalm 32:6 says, "Therefore, let everyone who is godly pray to You while You may be found.  Isaiah 55:6 says, "Seek ye the Lord while He may be found.  Call upon Him while He is near."

Right now, He may be found, and He is near.  He does speak to us.  He speaks to us in fellowship, and through others, and through His Word.  He speaks to us in the very world He has created for us.

The mountains point to the heavens, and speak of His majesty.

The birds sing His praises, and remind us to do the same.

We see a sunset we feel was for us alone.

The grapevine in the field is more than just a grapevine, but speaks to us of our need for dependence on Him.

The staggering array of flowers, insects and animals in our world speak of His imagination and creativity.

He created butterflies that speak of His gentleness, and elephants that speak of His power.

And He sends us rainbows that speak to us of a God who keeps His promises.

Sometimes, if He doesn't answer the way we expect Him to, we don't hear the answer at all.  But the answers are all around us.  Answers like, "Yes, My child," and "No, My child."  Answers like, "Wait" and "Stop thinking about that."  His answers are everywhere - we have only to listen and look for them.  In the vastness and grandeur of the universe, He says, very simply, "I Am."

If the only time when we will listen is when we're desperate, He can arrange that.  We need to say frequently and fervently, "Speak, Father, for your servant is listening."  (1 Samuel 3:10)

No comments:

Post a Comment