Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Heavens Declare the Glory of God

"Clouds... the wonders of Him..."
Job 37:16

I'm feeling sciency today.   Topic?  Clouds.  I love clouds.  I love how they give the sky personality.  I mean, I like blue as much as the next person, but a sky that's nothing but blue just isn't as interesting to me. Unless I'm at Dodger Stadium, where the sky is bluer, and the grass is greener than anywhere else on earth!  :)

On a recent drive, I noticed not only all the clouds in the sky, but also the differences between the clouds.  There are four general classifications of clouds, and I got to thinking of how they tell us about God.



Cumulus clouds are the big, puffy clouds; rounded and heaped on top of each other.  These remind me that He is a God of abundance; that He came that we might have life, and have it to the full.
2 Corinthians 9:8 "God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all you need, you will about in every good work."






Stratus clouds are the layered ones, often seeming stretched out for miles.  These make me think of the fact that He is unchanging.  Remember the story of Joseph and the Pharaoh's dream?  Seven years of abundance followed by seven years of famine.  Genesis 41:31 says that the famine was so severe that the time of abundance would not even be remembered.  But it didn't change that the abundance had existed, right?  Most often, we think of God in terms of our current circumstances ~ as a shelter during times of trial; as our Provider during times of want ~ but He is completely God all the time.
Hebrews 13:8 "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever."




Cirrus clouds are the ones that are thin and wispy.  They often have a little curl to them, and look like they've been swept across the sky with a paintbrush.  These remind me of His gentleness, and that it's God's kindness that leads us to repentance.
Galatians 5:22-23 "The fruits of the Spirit are kindness... goodness... gentleness..."




Nimbus clouds are the ones that bring us rain.  They are darker, and of course, full-looking.  They speak of His power and strength and remind us that nature answers to Him.
Jeremiah 20:11 "The Lord is with me like a mighty warrior."
Job 37:6 "He says to the snow, 'Fall on the earth,' and to the rain shower, 'Be a mighty downpour.'"


~ We often praise the evening clouds, and tints so gay and bold,
But seldom think upon our God, who tinged these clouds with gold ~ 
Sir Walter Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment