Friday, March 29, 2013

Looking Forward

"my earnest expectation and hope"
Philippians 1:20

Well, I'm now counting the hours to something exciting in our home...

If you have read a few posts on this humble blog, you might know that I recently read J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit for the first time.


Yes, that's right, I just got around to reading a book that was published in 1937, that has never waned in popularity, that is considered a classic.

Eschew the bandwagon ~ that's what I say.

But my kids got interested in the characters through the Lord of the Rings movies, shared with them by my sisters.  So we decided to read the book together, and can I just say?  I loved it.

So I guess sometimes there's a reason to jump on the bandwagon.

This week, the movie came out on DVD, and my kids cashed in a gift card to purchase it.  They had seen the movie over Christmas when it was out in theaters, but they went with their cousins (and my sisters).  I had no interest in seeing it, and certainly didn't want to spend the money. 

Now?  I'm interested.  More than that:  I'm very excited.

I really enjoyed reading about the places and characters that Tolkien created, and while I maintain that the book is always better than the movie, I'm looking forward to seeing it all come to life on my tv screen.

But to be honest, I'm just a little bit worried, too.  Tolkein created pictures in my imagination, and I'm a little concerned that the movie won't live up to the beauty and vibrancy in my mind.  From Bilbo's charming home in Bag End, to the dynamic personalities of the dwarves, my expectations are high. 

Do you know that feeling?  That "I hope this lives up to the hype" feeling?

Makes me think about the Book of Revelation.  I've read Revelation many times, and the descriptions have found a place in my imagination.  The streets of gold, and the gates of pearl... all manner of precious stones... the throne of God, with a rainbow like an emerald around the throne... and before the throne, a sea of glass, like crystal....

The pictures are vivid.  And that's just the visual part, not even taking into account that it's a place of joy forever, where we will be in the unimaginable light of His love.

In the next day or so, my family will sit down to watch our new movie, and I'll see just how well it lives up to what I'm imagining.  And some day, I'll find myself in the place He has promised me; the mansion prepared for me.  I love knowing it will far exceed my expectations.

~ "God Himself will be with them
and be their God" ~
Revelation 21:3
~

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this post, Light! The Hobbit is a children's story; and Lord of the Rings expanded on that for older readers. The three LOTR movies captured Tolkien's books magnificently, You should also read The Silmarillon if you haven't yet.

    I put up a Good Friday post today that you might want to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. RWP, I do plan on reading the rest of Tolkien's books, including The Silmarillion. Looking forward to them! And I'm thanking God for the blessing that reading is; how we are enabled, in our minds, to enter into places that were, places that have never been, and places that will surely be!

    Blessings for you and your missus, on this holy weekend. And thank you in advance for how I'll be edified by your blog today! :) Headed there now!

    ReplyDelete