Friday, March 8, 2013

Where ya headed?

"You number my wanderings"
Psalm 56:8

Where do you want to go? 

If you left where you are, to go someplace else, where would you go?  

And would you stay there, or would you then want to go somewhere else?

Some people are just wanderers.  Wanting to see something new, try something new.  It's the explanation for thousands of pioneers in America in the 1800s. 

I read recently about a man who decided to walk across America.  I don't know if he was raising money for charity, or if there was some purpose.  Maybe it was research for a book or something.

He basically walked ~ with his dog ~ from small town to small town.  People would give him money, or buy him meals, or let him sleep in their spare bedrooms or whatever.  Amazing. 

Anyhow, he also said that all along the way, people frequently said to him, "I wish I could go with you," or "I wish I could take a trip like that."  I thought that was interesting.  I certainly would never want to make a trip like that, walking, but I do agree with them in terms of traveling.  There are so many places I want to see, or experience, or visit-and-stay-for-longer-than-I-did-the-last-time.  

Why do so many of us have wanderlust?  Why do people have a hankering to go, to move, to see?  Is it just curiosity?  

I wonder if that restlessness is a subconscious longing for heaven.  Philippians 3:20 says that our citizenship is in heaven.  I wonder if that urge that so many of us have, to not stay settled for long, is part of God's plan.  Maybe He intended for us to be slightly dissatisfied with the here and now, that we might never feel quite at home on this earth. 

After all, there's a mansion waiting for us! 

~ "For in this we groan, 
earnestly desiring to be clothed 
with our habitation which is from heaven...
We have a building from God, 
a house not made with hands, 
eternal in the heavens" ~
2 Corinthians 5:2,1
~

No comments:

Post a Comment