Saturday, October 6, 2012

Imitations

"a shadow of things"
Colossians 2:17

I love Autumn.  I love the change in weather.  However, I live in Southern California, so the change in weather doesn't always come just because Autumn has arrived.

I love the colors of Autumn... the leaves on the trees, and the increase of pumpkins, squash and yams in the grocery store.


I love sitting under a blanket, and drinking hot chocolate.  I love having a fire going, or lighting candles in the house.   I love apples and pot roast and soup made from scratch.

Needless to say, I'm happy October has arrived.  And if you saw my house, you could tell that.  My Awesome Girl (who also loves Autumn) decorated the house a few weeks ago, pulling out all our faux pumpkins, pilgrims, decorative acorns and cranberries, and our autumn leaves.

But as much as I love them, it struck me as a little odd last week, when I suddenly realized I had dead leaves ~ albeit decorative ones ~ all over my house.  Fallen leaves are trash to most people.  They fall off the trees, and then are either raked up and thrown out, or added to the compost heap so they can return from whence they came. 

Me?  I put them in my living room, because I live where most of the leaves tend to stay green all year.   

I celebrate the Autumn I create for myself.  Because it's all I have.  And I think it's sort of sad, how desperate I am...

Don't celebrate, honor or cherish a shadow of what is real.  Don't let ceremony, ritual or routine take the place of a relationship with Jesus Christ.

The sacrifices of the Old Testament were shadows of Jesus' sacrifice to come, but for many people, the sacrifices were more important than the One they represented.  Religious restrictions, regulations, and rituals can either be reminders, or distractions. 

The man with an infirmity waited at the pool for a miracle, while the Messiah walked by.  Don't be focused on something else while your Savior waits nearby. 


~ "The Lord is the true God;
He is the living God and the everlasting King" ~
Jeremiah 10:10

4 comments:

  1. I saw your comment on Rhymes with Plague and thought I would come over and say hi as I had not heard of you. If I brought all my fallen leaves indoors, it would be great fun for the cat, but I'm afraid they would soon be neck high, at which it would be high time to choose a new plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very good post, Light!

    My father always corrected me when I said I loved this or that. "No," he would say, "you like them very much. You can't love anything that can't love you back."

    Which brings to mind this Biblical truth: We love Him because He first loved us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. - I love autumn too. Also your last three paragraphs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snowbrush ~ Welcome! How about a compromise: bring in just *some* of the leaves for your cat! ;)

    Rhymes ~ I think I would have liked your father... Have you ever done a post on him?

    ReplyDelete