Friday, October 5, 2012

Meeting your need

"according to each one's need"
Exodus 12:4

I once overheard an exchange between friends, and though I wasn't part of the conversation, I learned something that has stuck with me ever since.   Really, it was just a new way of looking at things, but who couldn't benefit from a change in perspective once in awhile?

The one friend was complaining about some huge, unexpected expense in her life ~ an appliance breakdown, a car repair... But the cost wasn't really her complaint.  Her complaint was that her husband had just gotten an unexpected bonus from work, and now that was going to be gone.  She said, "How come every time I get ahead financially in some way, there's something that comes up I have to spend that money on?"  And the second friend replied, "Did you ever think that God was providing you with what you need, before you need it?"

Well after I heard that, I started to see it happening in my own life once in awhile.  It probably happens more than once in awhile, but I guess I don't always see it...

But I started thinking about it again recently when a friend of mine shared something nice that happened to her.  Her oldest is off to college ~ all the way across the country, on an athletic scholarship.  It was the weekend she left home.  She and her father had flown halfway across the country, and spent a day with some friends.  Then the next morning, they flew the rest of the way across the country.  And when they arrived at their destination, the girl realized she had lost her wallet at the restaurant where they had dinner, at the halfway point.

This was a big deal because losing your wallet is a big deal.  But also because the girl now had no ID, and could not start school without it.  She couldn't register for classes, she couldn't get into her dorm, or get her dining room card or her school ID.  This was a Friday evening, she was supposed to start class the following Monday.  My friend called me because she was worried and stressed and wanted someone to be praying for the situation.  You know how it feels when your child needs help, and you're all the way across the country?  Helpless; that's how it feels.  Her husband was there with their daughter, but my friend was anxious and wanted to be there, too.

Now, all of this was taking place while she was at work.  Her two younger daughters were at home (younger, but still mid-teens).  They were supposed to be doing homework and chores until their mother got home.

But when she got home, my friend discovered that on this day ~ of all days ~ well, let's just say they had not been totally focused on their chores and homework.

Or rather, they had not been totally focused only on their chores and homework.   They had also cleaned the house, baked cookies, and made lemonade.  This is what was waiting for my friend when she got home from work, worried and stressed.


Cookies and lemonade, flowers and a clean house.  Think that was a coincidence?  I don't.  I think God prompted the girls, because He knew the timing was perfect for my friend to receive the gift.  Her daughters didn't know she needed it, but He did.

I love that about Him.  It's such a wonderful sign of His wisdom, and His love for us.  He not only knows what we need before we know we need it, He also provides what we need before we know we need it!

(Oh, and God got everything worked out with the college, too!   :)   She started her classes that Monday!)

~ "The Lord is my shepherd,
I shall not want...
You prepare a table before me...
You anoint my head with oil;
My cup runs over" ~
Psalm 23:1, 5

No comments:

Post a Comment