Friday, October 19, 2012

Yes, Dear

"let them ask their husbands"
1 Corinthians 14:35

I've been going to church all my life.  I attended religious education classes once a week when I was growing up, and for part of my schooling, I attended Christian school.  And then 12 years ago, I started attending a weekly Bible study.  And even though I've been learning the Bible as long as I can remember, I am constantly learning new things. 

And I love learning new things.  Just ask my kids.  As I teach them, I often learn something ~ or understand something ~ that I never did when I was in school.  And when I do, I'll say something like, "That's so cool!  Don't you think that's fascinating?"  My Amazing and Awesome kids will generally respond, "uh, sure, Mom!" which comes from the Latin for, "whatever Mom; can we just finish this?"

So it's not unusual for me to come home from Bible study, or look up from my homework, with something new (to me) that I wanted to share with the Apple of my Eye.  I'll say, "Hey, did you know....?"  or "You know what I read today?"  He'll listen, and respond with a level of interest that is commensurate with my enthusiasm, but nearly every time, it will be obvious that yes, he did already know whatever it was I had just found out.

As a result, little by little, I have come to a realization of how much my Sweetie knows.  Not just about the Bible, but about science or geography or a variety of other topics.  Although, I'm continually surprised by his inability to remember where things go in the kitchen cupboards....

So over the years, I've come to him for advice or wisdom or answers more and more.  And can I just tell you how rewarding that is?  I just love it when he's able to explain something that I've been struggling with.  And I gotta be honest; that's not always easy.  I was raised in a family of debaters.  We'll argue a point we don't agree with, just for the sheer joy of gainsay. 

I'll just wait here for those of you who might need to look up gainsay.  It's a beautiful yellow word.  Now just be sure you use it in a sentence this week.

Because of that, it can be hard for my hubby to give me an answer to a question, without my analyzing it and responding with another question.  But as I've often told him, I might get in the last word, but I'll go away thinking about what he has said, most of the time seeing the wisdom in it. 

Sometimes women have trouble seeing their husbands as authorities, or even as being wise.  After all, they can't seem to remember what time baseball practice is, or that we reminded them twice that the printer's nearly out of toner.  For the record, the Apple of my Eye is really good about both of those.  But he does have an surprising inability to remember where things go in the kitchen cupboards...

Now, I'm not saying God created men to be wiser than women, because that's not Scriptural, and it's also obviously not true.  We all have our strengths.  And today's highlighted verse, in 1 Corinthians, is referring specifically to women in churches.  Even more specifically, Paul is talking about speaking in tongues, and how that can lead to churches being chaotic.  So I know some people interpret it to mean that women shouldn't teach in church; others interpret it to mean that the church in Corinth was out of control, and Paul was trying to speak to that.  Pray about it; research it, and be obedient to your understanding. 

For me, it doesn't mean that I'm only to ask my husband questions.  There are dozens of people from whom I get opinions when it comes to studying Scripture.  It also doesn't mean that I can't do the same for my sweetie.  If he's studying, and has a question or wants an opinion, he's comfortable asking me what I think. 

What it means to me is that it is a blessing ~ to my husband, and to me ~ when I accept the fact that God has given him a great deal of wisdom, and I take advantage of that wisdom.  Appreciating the wisdom that God has made available to me, is wise of me!

~ "Through wisdom a house is built,
      And by understanding it is established" ~
Proverbs 24:3

No comments:

Post a Comment