Monday, October 8, 2012

That's why!

"the Lord has promised good things"
Numbers 10:29

Have we talked about "why?" before?  I love why's in the Bible.   When I was growing up, my mother never said "because I said so" to me or my sisters.  She always explained what her reason was for whatever she was telling us to do.  And then she told us what would happen if we didn't...

Maybe that's why I love it when God tells us "why?" when really, He has every right to say, "Because I told you so."

The Ten Commandments are given to us in both Exodus and Deuteronomy, and in both cases we are just told the what, not the why.  The exception being the 4th commandment:  "Honor your mother and father, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you." (verse 12 of Exodus)

But if I play my favorite Scriptural game of Connect the Dots, then those passages in Exodus and Deuteronomy go nicely with Leviticus 26.  Leviticus 26 is the why ~ and it's glorious!

"I will give you rain in its season... the trees of the field shall yield their fruit... you shall eat your bread to the full, and dwell in your land safely.  I will give peace in the land... You will chase your enemies and they shall fall by the sword before you... I will look on you favorably and make you fruitful... confirm My covenant with you.... set My tabernacle among you... I will walk among you and be your God, and you shall be My people..."

Twelve verses of promise and blessings in abundance.  And all of a sudden He goes from seeming like a bossy, dictatorial God, to the reality:  a loving Father who showers His children with everything good, if they live in the way that is best. 

But if for some reason that doesn't convince you, then it's followed by 28 verses that will strike terror in your heart, and renew your commitment to obedience.  And you think, "Oh, His commandments don't seem so unreasonable after all..." 

He's got a reason for everything He commands us.  We will be rewarded for our obedience, even more than we can imagine.  And we can know that, whether He tells us or not. 

But don't you love that He tells us?

~ "the Lord your God will bless you
    just as He promised you" ~
Deuteronomy 15:6

No comments:

Post a Comment