Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Peek-a-boo

"we do not know what we should pray for"
Romans 8:26

Did you ever feel like you'd been given a peek of something, and wish you could have seen more?  Maybe out of the corner of your eye, but when you turned to look straight at it, it was gone?  Or maybe something on TV that you weren't fully paying attention to, and by the time you looked up, it was too late?

There's a frustration in not being about to fully see something.  I'll never understand why some people love reading mysteries.  Although, really, the joy of a mystery is figuring out what you didn't know.  So even for mystery-lovers, a peek is not enough.  If it were, they wouldn't finish reading the book.

A glimpse can be frustrating, or it can be intriguing.  I guess the difference is whether we have any hope of finding out more, or if we have to resign ourselves to knowing the little we know.

But sometimes there's a reason for a glimpse.  Sometimes we peek, and sometimes He lets us see, just a little, of something He wants us to know. 

God has given me a peek into the life of an old friend of mine.  Very old.  And by that I mean that we've been friends for a very long time; I don't mean that she's ancient.  Cuz that would mean I'm ancient.  And we all know that's not true. 

We're really not in touch anymore, but our moms are, and through my mom, I've learned a little about the struggles my old friend is going through.  I have reached out to her, but she hasn't responded, so I just have to respect that she chooses not to discuss it with me.

It's been several weeks, though.  I've been praying for her, and I dropped her a line to let her know she's still in my thoughts, but I got no response, and that's hard for me.  I mean, it's hard for me not to know how she's doing.  I don't really even know how to be praying for her.  And part of me wishes I didn't know about her struggle at all.  Ignorance is bliss, right?

But only for me.  Cuz if I didn't know, I wouldn't be praying.

I don't know details, I don't have an update.  I only have a peek.  But that's enough for prayer.

~ "A friend loves at all times" ~
Proverbs 17:17

2 comments:

  1. It is at such times that ALL of Romans 8:26-27 is precious:

    "Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God."

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're absolutely right, RWP. Thank you for the addendum!

    ReplyDelete