Saturday, October 20, 2012

A lesson from the trees

"green poplar, almond and chestnut trees"
Genesis 30:37

When I was up in the mountains recently, I spent some time alone, sitting outside.  It was so beautiful, and very peaceful.  The sun was out, but there were so many trees that there was more shade than sun to be had.  I did a little reading, and writing, but mostly just enjoyed being where I was, looking and listening. 

I looked at the trees, and the sky, and the trees.  And then the trees again.  There were a lot of them...  I love looking at trees because I'm continually re-fascinated by the differences in things that are basically all the same. 

They're all tall, but they're not all equally tall.  They're all green ~ well, not all, but all the green ones are green.  But even though the green ones are all green, are not all the same shade of green.   They all have leaves ~ except for the ones that have needles ~ and the leaves are wildly different in size and shape.  And even on the trees that have needles, the needles aren't always the same.

Flowers, seeds, cones... there is as much to contrast as there is to compare.  But as I sat there looking, I found myself wondering why some leaves were blowing, and others weren't. 

First of all, obviously, some trees are higher than others.  The wind might simply be at a height that only affects the taller trees, or the trees on higher ground.

Secondly, the force and direction of the wind.  When the wind is not as strong, some trees are blocked by others, so not all trees are vulnerable.

Finally, the type of leaves on the tree.  Lighter-weight leaves do more dancin'.  That's just a fact.   Ever seen a quaking aspen?  It's true; they do.  Their leaves blow in the slightest breeze.  I love that about them.  Makes them seem so friendly.

I could feel the breeze as I sat among the trees.  So I knew the wind was there.  But not all the trees were reflective of that.  The lesson for me that day?  Don't compare yourself to others.  You're in a position to be affected by things that they are not ~ good and bad.  Or you might see others being blown by winds you can't feel.  Life is not equal.  1 Corinthians 12 says that one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.   Your job?  To be firmly planted in Him, and let the wind blow as it will.

~ "The trees of the woods
      shall rejoice before the Lord" ~
1 Chronicles 16:33

No comments:

Post a Comment