Sunday, March 10, 2013

Love wrapped in love

"whatever things are lovely"
Philippians 4:8

I got a present from a friend of mine last week.  Birthday present.  We don't traditionally exchange presents, so it was a sweet surprise.

I was out for lunch when my friend texted me to let me know she'd left something on my porch for me.  "No big deal; just a little something."

There was a card, too.  She'd written a little bit about our friendship, and her love for me.  So thoughtful.

And the present was so beautifully wrapped! 


Isn't that lovely?  With the beautiful bow and the lily.  Even the box is pretty.  It's simple, but sincere.  Almost understated in its beauty.  I don't really have a knack for making things lovely in that way.  If I'm wrapping a present, it's either going to be in a gift bag (probably recycled) or wrapped in store-bought paper, with no bow. 

I just can't abide bows.  They get crushed in the cupboard waiting for their turn to be used, and then they get crushed on the way to the recipient.  They're just not practical.  I guess practicality is important to me...

And I don't even do ribbon very often, because I don't really buy it, 'cuz it might go with the wrapping paper I have in the house right now, but when this runs out and I buy a different roll, is it going to match my ribbon and blah, blah...

Please understand, it's not that I don't love you.  I do.  It's just not going to show in how I wrap your present. 

It's also not going to show in my sending you a card.

Anyhow, when I thanked my friend for the gift, I not only thanked her for the beautiful candles inside, but for the wrapping job itself.  I complimented her on how beautiful it was, and she said, "Oh, I'm so glad you liked it.  I really wanted to make it nice for you!" 

How sweet is that??  As nice ~ or even nicer ~ than her giving me a gift, was her thoughtfulness in wanting to make even the outside pretty. 

Loving others comes in all shapes and sizes, doesn't it?

~ "above all these things, put on love,
which is the bond of perfection" ~
 Colossians 3:14
~

No comments:

Post a Comment