Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Unexpected Strength

"marble slabs in abundance"
1 Chronicles 29:2

So I have these cereal bowls, that I just love.  I no longer even use the dinnerware that came with them, but I just keep using those bowls.  They are perfect size for cereal, or if I have noodles or similar for lunch.  And they are a comfortable weight in my hand. 

Somewhere along the line, we broke one of them, so I only have three left.  I don't even put them in the dishwasher, because I don't want them out of commission for too long.  So I wash them by hand. 

Well last week I got one out of the cupboard, to use for breakfast, and I swung around from the cupboard too quickly and slammed the bowl into the island in the center of our kitchen. 

It hit the marble slab that sits on the island, and then flew out of my hand, and seemingly in slow motion, I watched it fly through the air and land, upside-down, on the tile floor of the kitchen. 

Because the whole thing felt like it was happening in slow-motion, I had time to think, as the bowl was soaring through the air:  "Oh darn.... I love that bowl...."

But it didn't shatter when it hit the floor.  As a matter of fact, when all was said and done, the only damage was a good-sized chip taken out...

... of the marble slab.

That's right.  Bowl - 1.  Marble - 0. 

The lesson?  You're stronger than you think. 

Hang in there.

~ "The God of Israel is He 
who gives strength and power to His people.
Blessed be God!" ~
Psalm 68:35
~
For J, E, and R...

4 comments:

  1. I had an epiphany while reading your post. When the irresistible force (your bowl, God) meets the unmoveable object (the marble floor, me on most days), it is the unmoveable object that has to give way, because the irresistible force is truly irresistible. Praise His Name!

    It is too early in the morning for me to make sense, but I hope you get what I'm trying to convey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do indeed. And I love the message ~ we are immoveable by choice and He is irresistible by virtue of who He is. Our stubbornness can never win out against His strength.

    Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this - felt like it was for me... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right you are, E. But most of them are ;-)

    ReplyDelete