Sunday, May 12, 2013

There's a high probability this isn't going to make any sense at all

"And so it was, on the next day..."
Exodus 18:13

This train of thought might be a bit of a labyrinth.  But the human mind is a wonderful thing, isn't it?  So come along!

Fact #1 ~ When I was a kid, my mom got sick of my sisters and me fighting and quarreling (which, may I say, I wouldn't have done so often if it wasn't their fault.  They started it.)  so she came up with the brilliant, if unorthodox, rule that we weren't allowed to get mad if it wasn't our day.

Yup, we each had one day a week to be mad.  I think mine was Tuesday.  So if one of my sisters bossed me annoyingly or bit me on the toe (you know who you are) on a Thursday, all I could do was grumble quietly in my head, and make a note of it, and then the following Tuesday I was allowed to express my displeasure.

If I was still mad.  And if I remembered.

Of course, it's hard to be mad days later.

What day it is makes a difference. 

Fact #2 ~ My sisters and I have a condition called synesthesia.  There are many different manifestations of it, but in us, it causes us to see words, letters and numbers in color.  So the days of the week are colored.  Monday is sort of yellow.  Friday is definitely green.

My sisters, however, would disagree with me on the colors.

But each day is different.

Fact #3 ~ I was having a bad day this past Wednesday.  I was cranky about a situation that's going to come up in a few months.  I wish it didn't have to happen, but it's a situation I can't get out of.  Thinking about it was making me irritable and short-tempered.

I might have also been slightly hormonal.  I'm a girl.  It happens. 

But the next day, though the situation hadn't changed, I was feeling better about it.  Maybe a good night's sleep, maybe a better outlook.

Maybe it was because it was no longer Wednesday, but Thursday, which to me is sort of rose-colored. 

It was a new day, and I was looking at the problem through Thursday-colored glasses.

His mercies are new every morning.  A day makes a difference.

~ "Therefore we do not lose heart...
the inward man is being renewed day by day" ~
2 Corinthians 4:16
~

No comments:

Post a Comment