Friday, May 24, 2013

Peace in Believing

"seek peace and pursue it"
1 Peter 3:11

What is the most valuable thing you own?  What do you protect above all else? 

Maybe your car.  Although I once heard a comedian joke (imagine that) about how Americans tend to leave their $25,000 car parked in the driveway so that they can protect their useless junk in the garage. 

How about your jewelry?  Maybe you keep that in a safe or even a safe-deposit box.

How about things that aren't worth money, but hold great value for you?  The things I protect more than anything else, of course, are my kids.  They would probably tell you with rueful smiles and rolling eyes that I protect them slightly more than is necessary.

I also feel very protective of small material things that would mean nothing to other people.  Books, inexpensive jewelry, travel souvenirs, etc. 

But it occurred to me last weekend ~ when I was overly stressed about life and circumstances beyond my control (which is most of them) that there is something I need to protect more fiercely.  I believe it's the thing stolen more than anything else on earth. 

Peace.  

That calm, trusting feeling that everything is going to be okay.  Do you have it?

We are supposed to have it all the time.  It's a promise from Him, and He doesn't make those lightly.

Jude 2 ~ "Mercy, peace and love be multiplied to you"

2 Peter 3:14 ~ "Be diligent to be found by Him in peace"

Hebrews 12:14 ~ "Pursue peace"

But the world, and the ruler of this world steal our peace.  he is a thief, that comes to steal, kill and destroy. 

I feel fierce, lately, about my peace.  Angry at anyone or any circumstance that would take it from me.  Determined to be at rest in my heart for myself, and those I love.   And Isaiah tells me clearly that it's up to me.  "You will keep in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You." (Isaiah 26:3)

Gotta keep my mind on Him.  Gotta trust Him. 

Colossians 3:15 ~ "Let the peace of God rule in your hearts"

Philippians 4:9 ~ "The God of peace will be with you"

Philippians 4:7 ~ "the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your heart and mind through Christ Jesus"

Ephesians 2:14 ~ "He Himself is our peace"

Galatians 5:22 ~ "The fruit of the Spirit is... peace...."

1 Corinthians 14:33 ~ "God is not the author of confusion, but of peace"

1 Corinthians 7:15 ~ "God has called us to peace"

Any questions?

~ "Now may the Lord of peace Himself
give you peace always
in every way
The Lord be with you all." ~
2 Thessalonians 3:16
~

No comments:

Post a Comment