Thursday, May 9, 2013

All That and More

"You are the Christ, the Son of the living God"
Matthew 16:16

I read an article a few weeks ago, about John James Audubon.  Amazing man.  I grew up familiar with his work, from a beautiful book my parents had when I was a kid. 

Of course, they probably still have it. 

Ornithologist and artist, taxidermist and naturalist.  He pioneered in the work that he did, and succeeded as no one else ever had. 

Photo credit: wikipedia
One of the many new things I learned about him through this article, was that he was nicknamed The American Woodsman.  Fitting, right? 

Photo credit: pbs.org
 But here's the quirky tidbit ~ he gave himself that nickname.  There's something... I don't know, wonderfully arrogant about that.  Although I don't think he was arrogant at all.  Just confident.  

Photo credit: americanartgallery.org
It's probably also that he was trying to make a name for himself ~ literally.  He needed money, and it was probably a way of advertising himself and his work. 

But it made me think of Jesus' line to Peter, "Who do you say I am?"

It's in Matthew 16.  Jesus asked His disciples, "Who do men say that I, the Son of Man, am?"  They answered, "Some say John the Baptist, some Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets." 

And that's when Jesus asked him, "Who do you say that I am?"

There are a lot of answers Peter could have given Him.  All of them accurate.  But there are a lot of times when I think the answer I would have given, would not be the right answer.  That is, it would be right, but wrong, in an incomplete sort of way. 

If I were to ask someone who I am, their answer would depend on how well they know me, and what our relationship is.  My parents might answer, "You are my daughter" and my kids would probably answer, "You are my mom."  But what about my old friends from high school?  Whatever answer they gave would probably be accurate, but outdated.  Incomplete.  Or what about my son's baseball coach?  He could certainly pick me out of a lineup if he were asked to point to the mother of the world's greatest first baseman. 

No, I am not exaggerating.  He rocks at catcher, too.

But none of those people would be able to tell you all of who I am.  All of us are too complex for that.

Who would people say you are?  Who are you, really? 

Who do you say that He is?  Who is He, really?

He is so much more than we remember, or can comprehend.  It's one of the things I thinks He forgives us for, even though we don't know enough to ask for His forgiveness.  We underestimate Him, confine Him, and minimize Him. 

Ask yourself who you think He is.  And then ask Him to show you how much more than that He is.

~ "I AM WHO I AM" ~
Exodus 3:14
~

No comments:

Post a Comment