Sunday, May 26, 2013

How He reminds us is up to Him

"I will not forget Your word"
Psalm 119:16

I was driving through the Little League parking lot last week, after dropping my sweet boy off for practice, when I saw a car that had a Bible verse on the license frame.

It was a wonderful verse ~ Nehemiah 8:10 ~ "The joy of the Lord is my strength."  Such a great promise.  But I hadn't thought about that verse in a long time.  And I was sort of disappointed in myself, somehow, for letting such a powerful verse slip from my mind.

And it made me think of a line I heard, years ago... I think it was Dorothy Parker:

"I might repeat to myself, slowly and soothingly, 
a list a quotations beautiful, 
from minds profound; 
if I can only remember any of the darn things."

I've always thought that was such a funny line, but also true.  And in my mind ~ literally ~ it's never more true than with the Bible.  There is so much in there:  wisdom and peace and guidance.  Strength and direction and funny and beautiful.

And I would repeat them, every one of them, to myself, slowly and soothingly.... if only I could remember all of the darn things.

So I guess I'll just keep going the way I'm going.  Reading and memorizing and forgetting and re-reading.  Little by little, verse by verse, precept by precept...  as long as I live.  And I'll just count on His Spirit to bring them to me when I need them. 

Because He promised.

~ "the Helper, the Holy Spirit, 
whom the Father will send in My name, 
He will teach you all things, 
and bring to your remembrance 
all things that I said to you." ~
John 14:26
~

No comments:

Post a Comment