Monday, May 13, 2013

Thoughts I Thought on Mother's Day

"mother cherishes her own children"
1 Thessalonians 2:7

I'm writing this on Mother's Day.  We're having a quiet day here.  A little church this morning, and now a little catnapping (Literally.  That cat's been lying there for hours.), a little reading and writing, a little iced tea, and a little Vin Scully.  Color me blessed.

Every morning when I check my email, there's a Bible verse waiting for me.  Years ago I signed up to receive them, and I love that a verse gets my mind thinking, first thing in the morning.  Because when it comes to getting my mind going in the morning, I need all the help I can get.

Today's verse was Proverbs 8:17 ~ "I love those who love Me".  It's just a portion of the verse, which goes on to say, "And those who seek Me diligently will find Me."  It's a beautiful promise to us that He is always nearby, and that loving Him and seeking is our choice. 

But the fact that just the first part of the verse was highlighted made it seem like such a beautiful choice for Mother's Day.  It is my sentiment exactly, when it comes to my kids.  They love me, and I love them.  And I love that they love me.  And I love loving them and being loved by them. 

It's a regular lovefest over here.

And then I saw a quote from a friend of mine on facebook that I thought also beautifully celebrates motherhood.  I think it's attributed to St Francis of Assisi ~ "Every life needs a purpose to which it can give the energies of its mind and the enthusiasm of its heart."  Now, I have a few purposes for my life.  Things to which I give the energies of my mind, and the enthusiasm of my heart.  Teaching, my role in Bible study, my writing.  But for 16 years, I have loved the work of being the best mom I can.  I know there are times it has probably driven my kids crazy, but I do nothing without overthinking it.  And to me, that's a gift from Him. 

When my daughter was about six months old, I was holding her on my lap and making goofy faces at her (okay, maybe I do some things without thinking at all) when I heard Jimmy Durante's "Make Someone Happy" playing, and I thought it was so applicable to my life.

Make someone happy,
Make just one someone happy;
Make just one heart the heart you sing to.
One smile that cheers you,
One face that lights when it nears you,
One girl you're ev'rything to. 

Fame, if you win it,
Comes and goes in a minute.
Where's the real stuff in life to cling to?
Love is the answer,
Someone to love is the answer.
Once you've found her, build your world around her. 

Make someone happy,
Make just one someone happy,
And you will be happy too. 

Now, there are few disclaimers here.  Being a mom is not just about making your kids happy.  In fact, that's a recipe for disaster.  And of course, I have two someone's to love, along with the Apple of my Eye.  But the basic sentiment is the same.  St Francis and Jimmy Durante are both talking about taking the focus of of yourself, being about other people.  It's about serving, and about loving others as He loves me. 

The job of being a mom is a gift from Him.  It's the method He has provided to give me the greatest opportunity to obey His command of selflessness.  It's hard, and never-ending, but full of purpose, and mostly joy.  And it's a constant illustration of my relationship to God.  Discipline, teaching, the practice of patience, and most of all, unconditional love for those sweet people who love me.


~ "Children are an inheritance from the Lord.
They are a reward from Him" ~
Psalm 127:3
~

No comments:

Post a Comment