Monday, May 20, 2013

Citius, Altius, Fortius

"the Lord, God Most High"
Genesis 14:22

I think that I'm gettin' full up on superlatives.  There's just so durn many of them around, ya know?

When I watch the weather reports on the news, every storm seems to be the somethingest storm of all time.   Coldest, rainiest, snowiest, whatever.... they even had to come up with a new name for Hurricane Sandy ~ Superstorm. 

I can't seem to watch a sporting event without hearing about how this guy is the fastest, strongest, most nearsighted player ever to do this well on a Tuesday in September when the previous night had been the full moon.

Yes, that's a real category.  Why wouldn't it be?

Or the cooking shows.... I love to watch cooking shows, albeit it doesn't happen a lot because I have too much to do to sit in front of the TV for very long. 

Unless, of course, there's an opportunity to hear the dulcet voice of Vin Scully.  Now there's a man who deserves his superlatives.

But back to the cooking shows.  I can't seem to watch without being directed to use the finest extra virgin olive oil I can get, or the best vanilla extract, or the highest quality dark chocolate. 

And then, of course, the resulting dish is excellent.... perfection.... magnificent....

We live in an era of extremes.  So many people striving to distinguish themselves in some way.  Or their food.  Or the weather.  All to be noticed, really.  Or at least I think that's what it all comes down to. 

But a little part of me recoils whenever I hear a superlative being used.  I think I'm becoming inured to them, so I don't believe whoever's using them.  I assume they are just exaggerating. 

But in the same way that superlatives catch my attention on TV, I notice them in the Bible, too. 

And I love them.

There's just no more accurate way to describe Him, than in extremes.

All powerful... all knowing... most faithful... unceasingly patient... King of kings.... Lord of lords... exceedingly merciful... wise... powerful... eternal.... most, all, best...

We can count on it.

~ "He who does not love
does not know God,
for God is love" ~
1 John 4:8
~

No comments:

Post a Comment