Tuesday, May 7, 2013

A-one, and a-two...

"instructor in charge of the music"
1 Chronicles 15:22

I heard one of my favorite songs today.  Well, actually I heard a few of my favorite songs today.  That is the beauty of my iPod.  It's what I love about my iPod.  Because while I put music on my iPod that my whole family will like ~ so that we'll all enjoy listening to it in the car ~ there's nothing on there that I don't love.  'Cuz I put them all on there.

But because of the number of songs on there, and how often I actually am able to listen to my iPod, it can be weeks between times when I hear a particular song, so when I do, it's almost a pleasant surprise. 

The song I enjoyed so much today was "Nessun dorma" ~ an aria from Puccini's Turandot.  I don't have a lot of opera on my iPod.  As a matter of fact, I'm not sure I have any opera other than that.  But that's a special piece of music.  My father loves opera, and that particular piece has long been one of his very favorites. 

I also have a few classical pieces that are favorites of my dad, in addition to several songs that I learned to love from my mom.  Albums she used to play when we were little.  Songs you've probably never heard of, but that hold a special place in my heart. 

Then of course there are the songs that I shared with the Apple of my Eye when we were in high school.  And stuff my kids have gotten me hooked on.  And worship songs I learned in church or at Bible study.  And music from a cd that my best friend made for me several years ago.

My iPod is many little bits of me.  It illustrates aspects of my history, and my character, and how I came to be who I am.

I wonder if how I view my iPod is like how God views me.  He knows all that we've gone through, all we experienced, all our failures and successes.

And I think it enables Him to view us differently than we view ourselves.  There are experiences from my childhood that I might have forgotten all about, but that played an important role in my growth.  There might be a reason for the weakness that I have, that I don't know.  Maybe while I'm busy criticizing myself for my weaknesses, and wishing I could grow past them, God is thinking how proud He is of me, because He knows why I am the way that I am, and how far I have come. 

It takes a lot of notes to make a song, and a lot of growth and experiences to create the beautiful, complex creatures we are.  Thank God ~ literally ~ that He is the Maestro.


~ "Become complete" ~
2 Corinthians 13:11
~

No comments:

Post a Comment