Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Facing Reality

"I do not pray 
that You should take them out of the world"
John 17:15

While I've been going to church all my life, Bible study is a fairly recent addition for me ~ only about the last 12 years :-)

And what I love about this particular study is how in-depth we study.  It's a 30 week study, and for example, this year we are studying John.  There are 21 chapters in John, so some weeks our entire focus is not even a whole chapter.  It really allows for time to examine verses in detail. 

But our homework also asks us sort of "personal analysis" questions.  Questions like, "what do you think" and "describe in your own words..."

Recently we had one of those "what do you think" questions that really got me, well, thinking.  The question said, "Some critics see Christianity as a religion of escape from reality.  Do you think that position is valid; why or why not?"

The thing is, I read this question right after I got off the phone with a friend of mine.  I'll call her Esther.  She's had a lot going on in her life the past several months ~ an unidentified virus or parasite has been attacking her daughter's insides, so there's been a plethora of doctor visits, medications and special diets.  Well, on this particular day, she had called me to tell me that her other daughter was in the hospital, having overdosed on medication prescribed for a sports injury several months ago. 

Esther was understandably distraught.  Her daughter had been taken to the hospital quickly enough that her life was not in danger.  But she knew there would be a long road ahead of them.  Her faith is strong but she was crying and scared as we talked about how close she had come to losing her daughter, and whether or not the overdose was accidental.

We talked for awhile, and then after we got off the phone, I picked up my study and came to this question.  And frankly, it made me a slightly indignant to think that there are people who think faith is an escape. 

Esther is a strong Christian ~ prayerful, and studious about reading the Bible and growing as a Christian.  But there was no escape from reality for her.  Reality was hitting her right in the face ~ painfully.  And there will be no escape over the next several months as she does her part to help her daughter heal physically, emotionally and spiritually.

And I thought to myself, "Is an umbrella an escape from reality?  Is a bullet-proof vest on a soldier an escape from reality??" 

Faith in God is a shield.  A refuge.  He is the source of peace and hope.  He is the strength to go on ~ He is the courage to face reality. 

And most of all, faith is the knowledge that this is not all there is, and that we are not alone.

~ "Fear not, for I am with you;
Be not dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you,
Yes, I will help you,
I will uphold you with My righteous right hand." ~
Isaiah 41:10
~

No comments:

Post a Comment