Friday, July 1, 2011

The Wizard of Menlo Park

"Give to everyone what you owe them"
Romans 13:7

Know who I'm talking about with that title?  None other than Thomas Edison.  Ten points for anyone who knew that.  I've been previewing literature for Awesome Girl and Amazing Boy, and one of the things I read recently was about Thomas Edison.  Did you know that he hated the nickname "Wizard of Menlo Park"?  He thought it made it sound like his inventions came to him without hard work.  And this is the man who said, "Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration"!


Well, there was an interesting tidbit in this account of Edison's life.  Thomas Edison died on October 18, 1931, and on the night of his funeral, at President Hoover's proclamation, lights all over America were turned off for a full minute, to honor the man who had turned on America's lights 52 years earlier.

An unprecedented tribute, to be sure, but it struck me as more than a little ironic.  If you're so appreciative for what someone has done, does it make sense to honor him by turning off what he turned on?  To undo what he did?

But then I thought, what better way to appreciate what he gave us, than to remind ourselves of what life was like before?  Having never lived in a world without electricity, I can't say for sure, but I would imagine it's one of those things you can't believe you ever lived without.   Or maybe can't even remember that you ever did!  Here's a silly example:  the other day, I was so grateful to be able to quickly text the Apple of my Eye to tell him I was on my way home.  It was so fast, and so handy, and I can't even remember what we used to do without cellphones.  But I've only owned a cellphone for 5 years (yeah, I was one of the holdouts) and I've only had the ability to text for maybe 2.  And now it's a convenience ~ and sometimes necessity ~ I hope I never have to do without.  How much stronger must folks have felt about electricity 70 years ago?

So here's a challenge for you.  It's kind of like "It's a Wonderful Life" in reverse.  What if you had to do without something you've come to rely on?  And I don't even mean something from God, cuz everything comes from Him.  But a lot of things that God gives us come through someone else.  So think about those people.  Your parents, a teacher, your pastor, a friend who's always there for you....  What would your life be like without the influence of that person?  What if you had to go a day, a week, a year without the input, advice, prayers or other intangible gifts and blessings?

What if you'd never had that teacher who inspired you?  Who would you be?  What about that boss who took a chance on you and gave you an opportunity?   What about that someone who loaned you a down-payment, or gave you a place to stay?  Where would you be?   In your mind, turn out those lights, and imagine living in the "darkness" left behind.

The response should be gratitude ~ felt and shown ~ to Him, and the person through whom He worked.  And make sure you're bringing light to someone else living in darkness!

~ "As we have the opportunity, let us do good to all people" ~
Galatians 6:10

3 comments:

  1. What a great post today. Very thoughtful and though provoking. To be grateful for all of those people who have helped us and continue to. And then to take it up one more level and to realize that each of these people is a gift - a blessing - from our Heavenly Father, and be grateful to Him. And people who do good for us are in tune enough with the Holy Spirit to heed it's promptings and help us out. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's okay... I always get "dessert" and "desert" mixed up....

    ReplyDelete