Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Joy of the Lord

“the joy of the Lord is your strength”
Nehemiah 8:10

Isn't that a wonderful thought, that strength is derived directly from joy?  I love that the joyous feeling I have as a result of giving and living my life for Him, leads directly to the strength I need to live for Him in a world He does not yet rule.

The joy that I have as a child of God is not just that I belong to Him simply because He created me.  In that sense, all people belong to Him -- not to mention all animals, all plants, indeed all creation.  Psalm 24:1 says “The earth is the Lord’s and all its fullness; the world and all those who dwell therein.” 

But my joy rests in the fact that I belong to Him because I have given myself to Him.  Indeed, “the world and all those who dwell therein” are His, but it seems to me a great many do not know it.  What a blessing to know I am His, and by claiming Him as my King, I become a daughter of the King.

And then, as if it weren’t enough to receive such joy as that which comes from Him, but to know that this joy is the source of my strength!  That is truly a gift from Him.  He could have just given me strength, but He chose to give me strength that comes from my joy in Him!

My joy in my marriage gives me the strength to make my marriage the best it can be.  My joy in my children gives me the strength to be the best mother I can be.  My joy in the ministries to which He has called me gives me strength to rise to His call, and give Him the glory.

I am joyful, therefore I am strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment