Sunday, July 3, 2011

An Unexpected Blessing....

"I will bless those who bless you"
Genesis 12:3

You may have the read the post a few weeks ago when I was a trifle irked at a friend of mine, all because she had inadvertently hurt my child.  Everything's fine now, but I spent several days thinking about the effect it has on me when one of my children is suffering.  I can handle my own pain better than I can handle one of my kids being hurt.  I suppose that's a fairly typical "mom" thing...

Well today, I experienced the opposite.  We visited some friends of ours, and my Awesome Girl came away blessed.  It was such a simple thing, really.  My friend had some clothes that no longer fit her, so she offered them to my daughter.  That's all.  There was no effort on my friend's part, except to act on the impulse that maybe my daughter would appreciate some new clothes.  But if you've ever been a 14-year-old girl, you'll understand how excited my sweet girl was.

But then my friend went one better.  We had gone on a walk down to the beach, and seeing my girl squinting, my friend offered her her sunglasses.  And then ~ she gave them to her.  Just a simple "thought you might like to have these."  Again, not a big deal.  But the impact on Awesome Girl ~ and on me ~ was huge.

You see, Awesome Girl doesn't own any sunglasses.  Which is tricky business when you live in a place that is relentlessly sunny most of the year.  I've tried and tried to buy her some, but she can't find any she likes, and every time we've gone shopping for them, she comes away frustrated.  And I think maybe, a recommendation from her mom is the kiss of death ~ you know: "if mom likes them, they can't be that stylish."  And really, I understand that.  My girl loves me, but I am her mom...

But my friend is fun and cool, and I think the fact that they were her sunglasses made them a treat for my girl.  And she was so pleased.  She was almost speechless.   She smiled and accepted and said thanks, but I know how appreciative she really was.  

I know it was not that big a deal for my friend, but it was for me.  And it made me think of today's verse, from Genesis.  These were God's words to Abraham, and I think it beautifully reflects the way a parent feels about their child.  When I became a parent, I understood God's love for His children in a whole new way, and it's very enlightening.  When someone blesses my child, they bless me ~ and it makes me want to bless them back.  God loves His children ~ loves us ~ and because of that He blesses us, and He blesses those who bless us.   And it's as effortless for Him to do so as it was for my friend to bless my daughter.   And I'm grateful yet again, for illustrations of His love, in everyday life.

~ "I will establish My covenant 
as an everlasting covenant 
between Me and you and your descendants after you, 
for the generations to come, 
to be your God and the God of your descendants after you." ~
Genesis 17:7

2 comments:

  1. Kirsten, you are so right on so many levels. Random acts of kindness are such a blessing. I understand the emotion when someone blesses your children. How wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kirsten ~ I knew that other moms would understand! :)

    And by the way, those cupcakes on your blog look stunning! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete