Thursday, July 28, 2011

Takes one to know one...

"my house is a house of prayer"
Mark 11:17

Sometimes a couple of events combine to teach us a lesson.... Case in point:  one day I happened to read the account of Jesus "cleansing" the temple.  This is such an interesting part of the gospels.  I can just picture Him overturning tables, releasing doves, driving out all the moneychangers, while they protested angrily.  We hardly ever see Jesus angry, but it's easy to picture our gentle and compassionate Lord angry in this scenario.

And then a few days later, on TV, I saw a reality show where four contestants were teamed up for a challenge that involved eating.  As they sat down, one of them said to the others, "Would it be alright if we prayed before we eat?"  They all agreed, and one of the others jumped in and prayed out loud, presuming to speak for all of them.  His prayer consisted entirely of making the request of God that they succeed in the challenge.  That's it.  No "thank you for the food" or "thank you for keeping us safe" or "bless our loved ones".   And I thought to myself, "I don't think that's what the woman had in mind when she suggested prayer."  Of course, it's possible that that's exactly what she had in mind.  Or she might have prayed a formula prayer that included words of thanks, but not necessarily feelings of thanks.

I found myself thinking of Jesus in the temple, and I felt indignant.  Clearly these people knew little about prayer.  They knew how to go through the motions, but not what role the heart was supposed to be playing.  Their ultimate goal was the prize at the culmination of the show.  This challenge - this meal - was just a means to that end.  Much like the moneychangers that Jesus scolded, these people were about their profit.

How dare they?  How dare they abuse the privilege of prayer that way?  I felt that God was being taken for granted.  He seemed not a part of that prayer at all, except it was His name and His format.  The contestant could just as easily been praying to the almighty god of reality shows, if there were one.  And I think I was right to feel angry.  That was righteous anger, I believe, because I wasn't angry for me, but for the respect that God was being denied.

But then, of course, the thought process comes back around to me... How often have I thrown a request prayer in God's direction, and it's the first time I've spoken to Him all day?  How often has my prayer been all about me, without a word of praise or thanks?  And it's a far greater crime on my part, because I know better.  To whom much is given, much is expected.  And that includes knowledge.

Every day, all around me, I can find ways that the world around me needs to be "cleansed".  But first I am responsible for this temple.  This 5'7", brown-haired, brown-eyed temple of the Holy Spirit.  Is this temple clean?  Is yours?  That, too, is something prayer is meant to accomplish.

~ "Teach me Your way, Lord, that I may rely on Your faithfulness;
give me an undivided heart, that I may fear Your name.
I will praise You, Lord my God, with all my heart;
I will glorify Your name forever." ~
Psalm 86:11-12

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I really like that! Linking the Savior's cleansing of the temple to the temples that are our mortal bodies. I need to medidate on that a little more, because I feel like there's more for me in there. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete