Tuesday, February 15, 2011

On your mark...

"Abigail lost no time"
1 Samuel 25:18

This is such a short sentence, but I feel there is such a valuable lesson here.  Abigail's husband had insulted King David, and she knew she had to take steps to rectify the situation.  David was on his way to kill her husband, Nabal, and his men.  She knew what she had to do, and she wasted no time.

I admire Abigail in that she knew what she had to do.  I envy that knowledge, or decisiveness.  Sometimes I try so hard to do the right thing that I end up doing nothing.  Or the moment has passed, and it's too late.  Gentle Husband and I call it "analysis paralysis."  Maybe I need to pray for wisdom and discernment before the time comes to make a decision.   Maybe that's what is meant by "hiding His word in my heart."  It's like the old Boy Scout motto; only God's wisdom can help me truly "be prepared."

While I admire Abigail's wisdom in her situation, I also truly want to emulate her obedience.  When she knew what had to be done, she "lost no time."  Time is valuable; lost time is lost forever.  If I fail to obey His plan for me in a given scenario, I may forfeit forever the blessings that could have been gained; blessings both for myself, and for others He might place in my path.

There is a time for everything, and a season for every purpose under heaven.  When the time is right, waste not a moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment