Thursday, February 10, 2011

A time to be silent...

"If only you would be altogether silent!  For you, that would be wisdom."
Job 13:5

This verse is spoken by Job, to his not-so-helpful "friend" Zophar, after Zophar had opined for 20 verses, which was after Bildad had given his thoughts for 22 verses, which was after Eliphaz had shared his two cents for 21 verses.... Seems like Job had good reason to feel like he was being lectured unnecessarily.  And unhelpfully.

Now, please understand I believe it is vital to understand God's Word in context.  Taking bits and pieces of it, "cafeteria-style" will lead to our not understanding His message, and it can even cause us to "create" our faith the way we think it should look.  Job 13:5 needs to be understood in the context of all of chapter 13, which needs to be understood in the context of all of Job, which needs to be understood in the context of all of Scripture....  I think you get the point.

But I also believe, as is obvious from the nature of this humble blog, that individual words and phrases and verses can hold wisdom and value for us.  Sometimes, as we read, something will leap out at us, and will make itself applicable to our lives in some way.  And so this verse did for me.

I think I could be classified as a "talker," although there are circumstances where I can be shy.  But I would be willing to bet that my husband, my Awesome Girl and my Amazing Boy all feel there are times when "less" would be "more" when it comes to my talking.  Certainly, what I feel is helpful instruction might often be construed by my kids as lecturing.  And they sometimes joke with me that they're afraid to ask me a question, because my answer is going to begin with, "Well, honey, after God created Adam and Eve...." and might include a few more details than they really wanted.   And it's also possible that when I am sharing what I think is something fascinating with my husband, all he's thinking is that he wishes he could concentrate better on whatever he's working on.

For many of us, our times of prayer becomes about what we have to say to God, not about hearing what He might have to say to us.  But it's called "Quiet Time" for a reason.  In silence, He can convey peace, guidance, encouragement and even a little discipline.

In Saratoga Springs, New York is a lake called - logically enough - Saratoga Lake.  Mohawk Indian legend says that the stillness of the lake is sacred, and that if a voice is uttered on its waters, the speaker's canoe will sink instantly.  Now, I don't know if that's true, but maybe it's a good thing to think of some situations as sacred, and treat them as such.   For me, that would be wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment