Friday, February 14, 2014

Who loves ya, baby?

"that it may be well with you
  and you may live long on the earth"
Ephesians 6:3

I took my kids to the pediatrician a few days ago.  Kinda seems weird to be taking an almost-seventeen-year-old to a pediatrician, but that's how it's done.

Since I have a child of each gender, we had to see two different doctors ~ a female for her, and a male for him.  But since I was off-schedule with their well-checks, I wasn't taking them near their birthdays.  So I went two days in a row, once with each child.

It was an interesting comparison, seeing how different doctors handle appointments that are substantially the same.  Sometimes they said the exact same things, like they'd been trained by the same person.

But in other ways, they did the same things differently.  Both kids had a "baseline concussion" test, because both are involved in sports.  What it means is, they had to answer questions and do balance tests that can act as a comparison in case they ever suffer a concussion.  These tests were largely the same, and yet each doctor varied them a little bit.  Me, I just sat there quietly in the corner, intrigued.  'Cause that's what I do.

And both kids got the same "lecture" about taking care of themselves.  Eating right, exercise, getting enough Vitamin D while still protecting themselves from the sun...  And of course there was some discussion about drugs, which led to advice about peer pressure. 

I have awfully mature kids, I must say, so I've never been too concerned about peer pressure.  Plus, they're homeschooled, so they don't have that many peers around them on a daily basis.  But sometimes peer pressure is a bigger danger on things that seem smaller.  Maybe they are confident that they would say "no" to drugs, but sometimes we can be convinced to do something that's "no big deal".  Those are the times we just move ahead without giving something enough thought.

But here's what I loved:  the doctor who examined my son told him that if he ever has any questions, or is worried about anything, he should "talk to the one that loves him the most".  With that, he gave a nod in my direction, and my boy grinned at me.  I thought it was a great way to remind my son not only who he should talk to ~ his parents; but also why ~ because there is no one who loves him more than we do.  There is no one who wants the best for him the way we do.

It's good advice for all of us, to remember who loves us the most.  Who we can rely on for thoughtful, wise counsel?  Who can we count on to give us truth, even when it's not easy?  Who knows what is best for us, and will guide us in that direction?

Hopefully you have several someones in your life who fit that description.  But even more important than that, is knowing you can go to the One who loves you more than anyone on earth.  The One who is love, and wisdom.  He's got appointments available whenever you're ready.


~ "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything 
by prayer and petition
with thanksgiving,
    let your requests be made known to God;
and the peace of God
 which transcends all understanding,
will guard your hearts and minds
through Christ Jesus" ~
Philippians 4:6-7
~

2 comments: