Tuesday, February 25, 2014

And don't forget, it's pronounced "oo-koo-lay-lay"

"stringed instruments for singers"
1 Kings 10:12

I had a wonderful morning today.  It was a busy weekend, what with Olympic watching, getting together with friends for my daughter's birthday, and a writing project I've been working on.  Nothing too hectic, but we pretty much went from one thing to another. 

But I slept well, and I woke this morning ready to hit the day running.  So to speak... And after getting a few things done, I sat down to do some computer work.  And that's when it started.

Music.  Lovely and lilting.  Coming from my daughter's room.  Before she got started on her schoolwork, she was taking a few minutes to play her ukulele. 

We got her a ukulele a year ago Christmas.  She has some experience on the guitar, and we thought a smaller instrument might be fun for her to try.  Besides, it's Hawaiian, and who doesn't love that?

And in the year since, she has come to love that instrument.  She has taught herself several songs, and plays it almost every day.  Sometimes I can tell she's using it to lift her spirits, and other times I know she's playing it because she's in good spirits.  Either way, it makes me smile.  I don't even have to recognize the song she's playing to enjoy the peace that comes from the music.  So this morning I leaned my head back and closed my eyes, and for a few minutes, I just listened.  Then I opened my eyes and got to work, as the lovely melody continued.

I read somewhere recently, about the mostly unappreciated role that worship and praise music plays in our lives.  About how we often relegate it to a four-song set on Sunday mornings.  But worship should be ever-present.  Our hearts should be praising Him often, if not unceasingly.  Our worship, whether spoken or sung, should be the background music to what God is doing in our lives. 

And a little ukulele accompaniment is a nice touch.

~ "Let them praise His name with the dance;
   Let them sing praises to Him
     with the timbrel and the harp" ~
Psalm 149:3
~

No comments:

Post a Comment