Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Our Father

"Abba, Father"
Galatians 4:6

I was watching a tv show the other day that involved a character whose father had abandoned the family years before.  The characters were talking about how influenced they each had been, based on their relationship ~ or lack thereof ~ with their fathers.

And I started thinking about a friend of mine whose father died last year.  We were in email contact frequently, as she shared updates, and I shared prayers and words of encouragement.  And every time she referred to him, she called him "my daddy".  I thought that was so beautiful.  I mean, I call my father "Daddy," but I wouldn't refer to him that way to you.  I would just say "my father".

Our fathers impact our view of our Father in heaven, for better or worse.   A good relationship with our earthly father can help us view God as both Creator of the universe, and as our Abba.  But perhaps someone with no father on earth, or a bad father, is even more grateful for God, or more able to appreciate who He is; those aspects of Him.

My friend and I are both very blessed to have a father we love to call "Daddy".  But praise God that He is Lord and Father to everyone who calls on Him.


~ "The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit
that we are children of God" ~
Romans 8:16
~

No comments:

Post a Comment