Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Nothing a little Static Guard won't fix

"take heed to yourselves"
Exodus 19:12

I had a kind of uncomfortable situation today.  But I was the only one who knew.

I was at Bible study, wearing a dress that I only wear a couple of times a year.  It's a lovely dress, but I don't have much cause to wear dresses, and the weather has to be right.

Anyhow, I wore this dress, and got about 15 compliments on it, which of course is nice to hear.  But what those folks don't know is that I was having a serious "static cling" problem.  I guess the air's been a little dry lately!  It's a knee-length dress, and I kept feeling it creeping slightly upwards.  Not a good thing, especially when I had to do a little public-speaking today.

But at one point, when I was chatting a little with someone, and I looked down while surreptitiously trying to adjust my dress, I realized that it was only the lining that was clinging in a funny way.  The outer part of the dress ~ the part everyone could see ~ was fine.  So although I was distracted by it, I was relieved that no one else would be.  It was just my problem.

Isn't that what we all pray for?  That our problems and issues would be hidden from the world?  We all have things that God is working on in us, but isn't it so much easier when whatever that is is not apparent to everyone else?

I think that's generally the case.  Let's face it, God's working on everyone around us, too.  Which means they're pretty darn focused on their own issues.   Oh sure, sometimes it's painfully obvious how God is growing us, but I think it's less often than we think.  It's been said, "You wouldn't worry so much about what people thought of you if you knew how seldom they do."

I guess we just relax, and keep our eyes on our own problems, focusing on conforming to His image.  And don't worry too much about what others may be thinking.  Just worry about what He's thinking.

~ "O God, You know my foolishness;
     and my sins are not hidden from You" ~
Psalm 69:5
~

No comments:

Post a Comment