Saturday, February 1, 2014

Still learning, step by step

"that I may not cause pain!"
1 Chronicles 4:10

Okay, I know it's been a few months, but would you believe I'm still having problems with my broken toe?  It was way back in October when I slammed it into the kitchen island, and then spent weeks hobbling around and wearing my husband's slipper.

It's fine now, when I'm walking, etc. but if I happen to bump it, even slightly, on something unyielding, I'm in pain again.  And sometimes when I sit in a comfy chair, with my foot tucked underneath me, I find I'm sitting on my toe and that can only happen for a minute or two.

The point is, I still have to walk circumspectly, if you will.  Even all these months later.  And I found myself thinking about the temple in Jerusalem.  I have a friend who visited Jerusalem several years ago, and I remember her telling me about the steps of the temple.  She said that some of the steps are wide, and some are narrow.  And that some of the steps are higher than others.  The thinking is that the builders designed it so that even walking up to the temple would have to be done thoughtfully and with an awareness of where one was. 


I love the idea of that.  Probably because I enjoy life, well-examined.  I love the idea of never doing anything automatically, even if it's something routine. 

Almost four months after not being careful enough when I was walking into my kitchen, it's still a lesson being learned.  Every step should be purposeful, and not a moment wasted.


~ "See then that you walk circumspectly,
not as fools but as wise,
redeeming the time" ~
Ephesians 5:15,16
~

No comments:

Post a Comment