Thursday, November 29, 2012

Being a Light in the Darkness

"on a cloudy and dark day"
Ezekiel 34:12

I really like my car.  Which is a blessing to me from God.  Not just the car, but the fact that I like my car.  I live in Southern California, in a car culture.  We do more driving here than in other parts of the country, so I'm very glad that I get to enjoy driving.

I love that it's comfortable to drive ~ not too big and not too small.  I love that it has a sunroof.  Although, my kids would tell you that I consider it my all-weather-roof.  The only time I don't like to have it open is when the sun is shining too brightly.  I love having it open all other times, even at night, and in rainy weather.

And I love the color of my car.  I think the manufacturer called it teal, but it's more complex than that.  There's a sort of undertone of gold, but it's not always noticeable.  You can really only see that when the sun is shining on it.  If the sun is not shining directly on it, it's just a teal color.  Lovely, but just your basic teal.

But on cloudy days, the car takes on another color entirely.  It's a color I call Chesapeake, because it looks like a murky sea on a rainy day.  Gorgeous.  If you like that kind of thing.  Which I do.  And I've gotten a lot of compliments on it.  There was even a time when a woman caught up to me in a store and said, "Is that your teal car?"  I told her it was, and she said, "It's such a beautiful color."  And that was a cloudy day. 

So not only is it a cool color, it's two colors ~ one in the sunlight, and another on cloudy days.


There's a pretty good contrast.

The weather has finally turned to Autumn, here in sunny Southern California.  So a few days ago, when I walked out to my car and remembered how pretty it is on a gloomy day, I took it as a challenge; a reminder that I don't have to be dull and colorless when I'm walking through clouds in my life.

What color are you when things are dark?  Are you dismal and dreary, or is there a depth to you that draws others?  What is revealed in you, in the light, and in the dark?  We can be beautiful, in Him and through Him, no matter what our life is like. 

~ "your heart will rejoice,
and your joy, no one will take from you" ~
John 16:22
~

No comments:

Post a Comment