Sunday, April 17, 2011

God is not repetitively redundant.

"He sent and signified it"
Revelation 1:1

My Amazing Boy came into my room the other day, and I was reading the Bible, and he realized it wasn't my "regular" Bible, that I take to church and Bible Study.  This one I got from a pile of used books that a friend was giving away, and I took it so I could have a Bible in my bedroom.  Nice to just be able to grab one, if my other one is in the family room.  Anyhow, he all of a sudden realized I had more than one.  *Gasp!*  "You've got another Bible?!" I grinned and pointed out that while I have my "regular" one, which is New King James, I also have a New International Version in the family room.  Plus I have my French Bible, cuz Awesome Girl and I are taking French this year, so I thought it would be fun to learn some verses in French.  And I have a "Hawaiian Pidgin" New Testament, called "Da Jesus Book," ("God wen get so plenny love an aloha fo da peopo inside da world, dat He wen send Me, His one an ony Boy...") and then of course, there's the travel size Bible in my car...

The thing is, there can be fascinating variations in different versions.  Sometimes the differences are interesting, sometimes they are educational, or intriguing.  Such is the case with this verse today.

In the New International Version, Revelation begins with these words:  "The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show His servants what must soon take place.  He made it known by sending His angel to His servant John..."  But the New King James Version, instead of saying:  "He made it known," says: "He sent and signified it".   The wording seemed redundant upon first reading, but I try to question unusual things in the Word, not gloss over them. The word "sent" means "to communicate" and the word "signify" means "to communicate through a sign."   The dichotomy of this phrase reminds me of how God speaks to us ~ both with words and illustrations.   God's message to John was twofold ~ both verbal and visual, and anyone who reads Revelation realizes we are not just dealing with words, but stunning illustrations as well... golden lampstands and colored horses; emerald rainbows, and creatures that make you realize that the imagination of Dr Seuss is nothing compared to that of our Lord.

And I'm tempted to say, although I cannot prove it, that for every word in Scripture, He has also provided a situation to illustrate it.

~ Moses said, "Do not be afraid.  Stand still and see the salvation of the Lord, which He will accomplish for you today."  And the children of Israel went on dry ground, through the midst of the sea.

~ Jesus said, "Did I not say to you that if you would believe, you would see the glory of God?"  And Lazarus, who had died, came out of his tomb.

~ My favorite example is John 1:14 "The Word became Flesh... and dwelt among us."  Jesus Himself is The Word ~ spoken, written, and read; and Flesh ~ living, breathing, speaking, laughing.

~ In verse 12 of the first chapter of Revelation, after John hears "a loud voice like a trumpet", it says:  "he turned to see the voice that was speaking".  This fascinates me.  You can't see a voice!  And I know some would say it's just a figure of speech, but I believe the wording is just as purposeful as "He sent and signified".  John had been present for the transfiguration of Jesus on the mountain, and He heard God's voice that day.  And I believe that on this day, when John heard a loud voice like a trumpet, he turned, fully expecting he would see something glorious.  And when he did, when he fell at his Lord's feet, terrified, Jesus not only comforted him by speaking to him, but by touching him, as well.

James 2:22 says that faith works together with works, and by works, faith is made perfect.  That does not mean that our works prove our faith, but that our works are a natural result of our faith.  With works, faith is made perfect.  And so it is with God.  His "good works" ~ His miracles ~ are a natural result of who He is.  His words and His deeds, are His perfection.

So I need to ask myself, when I read, and pray, or sit in church or Bible study... when I strive to hear what He has for me, am I seeing what He has for me?  If I'm going to believe that He is Jehovah-Jireh, the God who provides, do I then recognize that the unexpected check comes from Him?  As I cling to the promise that I can do all things through Christ, do I acknowledge that the gifts or skills that enable me, are from Him?  We need to hear His promises, His messages to us... but we also need to feel His touch, and see His works, and His manifestations of His glory.

In Matthew's version of the Parable of the Sower, Jesus says, "blessed are your eyes because they see, and your ears because they hear.  For I tell you the truth:  many prophets and righteous men longed to see what you see, but did not see it, and to hear what you hear, but did not hear it."  May we, too, have ears to hear, and eyes to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment