Friday, April 29, 2011

The Best Laid Plans.... Literally!

"the plans I have for you..."
Jeremiah 29:11

For a lot of people I know, Jeremiah 29:11 is a favorite, oft-quoted verse.  There is nothing more heart-warming and reassuring than to know that the Creator of the Universe ~ the Lord of lords and King of kings ~ loves us.  In a way, it seems like we should be surprised He even knows our names!  But more than that, He loves us deeply, and He has plans for each of us.  Beautiful plans.  Plans we can hope in and take joy in, even if we don't know what they are.

A week before my 40th birthday, my husband, with the help of my mom and my sister, threw me a spectacular celebration.  Ordered a limousine, flew my two sisters, my brother-in-law and my nephew out to California.  Arranged for the limo to take us to pick them up, along with my parents and eight friends at three different locations, and then to the restaurant, where my in-laws and all the husbands of all my friends were waiting.  Balloons, flowers, goody bags at every place setting…    And of course, the whole thing was a surprise. 

I thought we were going to a friend's house that night, until the doorbell rang, and a man in a suit stood on the porch, and behind him was the biggest limo I’d ever seen.  I said, “I’m sorry, you’ve got the wrong house.”  But he asked for my husband, and when I turned, there was my Sweetie, with a smile on his face.  And all he said was, “Get in the car.”  My kids were as perplexed as I was, and kept saying to me, “Mom, what’s happening?  Where are we going?”  And all I could do was grin, and say, “Beats me.  Let’s get in the car.”  I had absolutely no idea what was planned, but I completely trusted the one who had made the plans.  And it was sweeter and more special than I could have imagined.  

So, too, are God’s plans for your life more spectacular than you can imagine.  Leviticus 26 says, “I will give you rain in its season… the trees of the field shall yield their fruit… you shall eat your bread to the full, and dwell in your land safely.  I will give peace in the land… You will chase your enemies and they shall fall by the sword before you… I will look upon you favorably and make you fruitful… confirm My covenant with you… set My tabernacle among you…. I will walk among you and be your God, and you shall be My people.”   We need to believe that His plans for us are better than anything we could ever plan for ourselves.


I trust that He has a plan for my life, and I’m planning on trusting Him.  What's your plan?

~ "For I know the plans I have for you," 
says the Lord, 
"plans of peace and not of evil, 
to give you a future and a hope." ~
Jeremiah 29:11

1 comment:

  1. I am in awe at the perfect wisdom of my God who has lead me to the happiest place I've ever been. I know nothing compared to Him! So I am learning to just let Him lead me, and getting those guiding answers is warm and comforting. It is literally a physical feeling of peace and joy and gratitude. Great example you gave, that was a great party! ;)

    ReplyDelete