Friday, April 15, 2011

Marco!

Ooh.... you know you want to answer back....   "Polo!"

"seek Me and find Me"
Jeremiah 29:13

Did you ever play "Blind Man's Bluff"?  It's the dry-clothes version of "Marco Polo".  You wander around, blindfolded, trying to catch a moving target.... hopefully without looking too silly, or hurting yourself...  It's a game though, so for the escapees, there's the challenge of staying close enough to be caught, without actually getting caught.  And maybe while you're trying to move away from the outstretched hand, your voice, or the sound of your giggles are giving you away, until finally, the pursuer lunges, and you're tagged.

For the "blind man," however, the game is about focus. With the sense of sight gone, the "blind man" focuses on listening.   In "Marco Polo," you're allowed to call out and expect a response to help you.  But even without that, you can generally tell, maybe even just from the sound of breathing, that you are close to your prey.  And then, relying on instinct, good ears, and a little luck, you flail madly, and hopefully, come in contact with your quarry.

But are ya like me?  Do ya sometimes get the sense that obedience to God is a spiritual game of Blind Man's Bluff?  I know He's within reach, but I can't seem to come in contact with Him, and I don't know if I'm even close to what He wants from me.  It can be frustrating when I don't feel I know what God wants, or what He's doing.  Now, I know I probably rarely know what He's doing, but I certainly feel better when I think I know.  And I know that His Word speaks to life's most important decisions ~ faith in God, salvation through belief in Jesus as my Lord.... but it doesn't seem to help with questions like, "should I take this job?" or "which car should I buy?" or "what college should I go to?"  For these, we pray, we talk to people we respect, we find out all we can about the situation, and then, relying on whatever wisdom we've accumulated, and a little luck, we strike out.

But you know what?  Though the Bible never uses the word "college", it will lead you to the answer on where to go.  Same with other stuff, too.  Because it's the home of wisdom.  The more time you spend in Scripture, the more prepared you will be to make a Godly decision on the important stuff.

Jesus is the Word (John 1:14) so if you want to know what is on the mind of God, you need look to Jesus ~ in His Word.  Do you want to know the will of God?  Look at Jesus.  Do you want to know what is in the heart of God?  Look at Jesus!  Though we cannot see Him, He promises we will hear Him.

The One who called Abraham out of Ur, promising to fully bless him if he would follow Him in a life of faith, is the same One who today calls us out of the world, and promises to bless us, if we follow Him in a life of faith.


~ "You will seek Me and find Me
when you seek Me with all your heart." ~
Jeremiah 29:13

1 comment:

  1. I like this line: "The more time you spend in Scripture, the more prepared you will be to make a Godly decision on the important stuff." We can't expect to receive answers and guidance if we haven't created the environment within ourselves where the spirit can be heard. I don't know where the money we need is going to come from, but I feel at peace and so I know my Heavenly Father is with us and we'll be ok.

    ReplyDelete