Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Sow what?

"the interests of others"
Philippians 2:4

I went to a funeral recently, and one of the hymns we sang was "The Prayer of St Francis."  It's a beautiful prayer, and one of my favorite hymns.   Although it's impossible to trace it accurately back to St Francis of Assisi (who lived in the 13th century), it has a long and impressive history.   It was widely prayed during World Wars 1 and 2; it has been used in speeches by people from Mother Theresa to Nancy Pelosi; it has been sung by various artists; and it was used in the movie "Rambo" and at the funeral for Princess Diana.  How's that for diversity?

The main part of the prayer goes like this:

Lord, make me an instrument of Your peace. 
Where there is hatred, let me sow Your love.
Where there is injury, Your pardon, Lord.
And where there's doubt, true faith in You.

Make me an instrument of Your peace.
Where there's despair in life, let me bring hope.
Where there is darkness, only light.
And where there's sadness, ever joy.

Wouldn't you like to bring into any situation that which was missing?  To walk into a situation where people are trouble, and bring peace?   To bring hope to someone in despair?  Often we try to do that, when we know it's what's needed, but what about just having that effect and not even knowing it?

I was actually able to do that for my Amazing Boy recently.  He'd been at baseball practice, and I came to pick him up.   He was hot and tired and hungry, and as he was walking towards the car, I smiled at my sweet boy, and then when he got in, I said something like, "Hi, darling!"  That's all.  I didn't go out of my way to bring him what he was missing at that moment.  I didn't even know what he was missing at that moment.  I just shared what I had to offer ~ love and joy at seeing him.   He commented how nice it was to be received that way.  To be greeted by a smiling face, and expressions of sweetness and love.

This should be my desire.  My prayer.  Every day.  That God would use me to love others; to edify them; to make their situation better, even if I have no idea what that situation is.  Because if I'm not sowing things like peace, hope and light, then what am I sowing?


~ "Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, 
but also for the interests of others." ~
Philippians 2:4

1 comment: