Thursday, June 16, 2011

"Good" is as "good" does

"God saw that it was good"
Genesis 1

I'm celebrating the word "good" today.  I'm thinking of the many definitions of the word "good", and how all those definitions apply to God, and I began to think of all He has created for us...

My Awesome Girl has become quite the photographer lately.  For the past few years, it's been her favorite part of our vacations.  While Amazing Boy drinks up all the American history he can at our many historic stops, she takes pictures.

Sunset at Gettysburg National Battlefield, Pennsylvania

She has an eye for the things of nature.  She can take a photo of a weed, and all of a sudden, I see it as something beautiful.

Thomas Jefferson's garden at Monticello, Virginia

It's made me more appreciative of God's work in creating this earth, and the things on it.  I mean, I think I've always been appreciative, but I'm entranced by details I never saw until she saw them through the lens for me.

And it certainly makes it a joy to look back at vacation photos!

George Washington's garden at Mount Vernon, Virginia
And now she has decided to enter a few of her photos in our County Fair.  The limit is three, and it was not an easy task for the two of us to go through all the pictures she has taken, and choose three of the best.  There is just something wonderful about so many of them.

I wonder if God feels that way when He looks at His creation.   If He had to pick the three most beautiful, or most stunning, or most majestic things He created, what would He choose?   The Grand Canyon?  The Great Barrier Reef in Australia?  The Black Forest in Germany?  Arthur's Seat in Scotland or field of tulips in the Netherlands?

Geese in the Shenandoah River, West Virginia
What about animals, birds, fish?  The elegance of a giraffe, the majesty of a lion, the beauty of an eagle in flight...  Not to mention the amazing variety of birds and fish and butterflies...

Deer in Shiloh Battlefield, Tennessee
Every continent, every nation, every region, every meadow and desert has its treasures.  And He loves them all.  He looked at everything He created, and He called it good.

And He oughta know.

Andrew Jackson's garden at The Hermitage, Tennessee

~ "Praise the Lord your God
 for the good land He has given you."
Deuteronomy 8:10

No comments:

Post a Comment