Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Who needs you?

"the Lord has need"
Matthew 21:3

I was feeling needed today.  And not in a good way.  Do you have anyone in your life that seems like they'd fall over if you weren't always catching them?   If you're a mom, especially of young ones, you probably know that feeling well.   I know women whose husbands seem helpless, although I hasten to add that I am not one of those women.  I think there are also plenty of people who wonder how their bosses would ever manage without them.   We all like to feel needed, but we all know the feeling of when we would like someone to just please take control of their own life!

On the other hand, I know for a fact I can sometimes be needy.  I'll be the first to admit I'm high-maintenance, although I do most of the maintaining myself!  :)  But certainly, especially for the Apple of my Eye, I sometimes need someone who understands me, and can be what I need, when I'm needy.   But mostly I feel more needed, than needy.  Probably a lot of us do...

This verse today has long fascinated me.  I think this line is in all of the gospels, and it comes from the circumstance of what is called Jesus' triumphal entry into Jerusalem.   He had sent two disciples into the village, to bring back a donkey and her colt, and if anyone was to say anything to the disciples, they were to reply, "The Lord has need of them."

And I think, How can the Lord be "in need" of anything?  He is all things!  The Alpha and the Omega; the Bread of Life and the Living Water.  All that He desires is His, in an instant.  After all, He created the universe with only a word!

But our Lord, while on earth, as a Man, gave up the comfort and joy of heaven, and experienced need, which is defined as "a lack of something desirable or useful; a condition requiring supply or relief".  Jesus had need of food and water, rest and companionship.  And wouldn't it have been glorious to have lived when He did, and have the opportunity to fill His needs?

But what does He need now?  A need is defined as something "required" and required is defined as "essential or demanded".  So the question becomes, what does He demand?

Micah 6:8 demands that we do justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with Him.  And Jesus Himself reminded the Pharisees that we are commanded to love the Lord with all our hearts, all our souls, and all our minds.

Our Creator, who does not lack anything, has needs that only you can fill.  He requires your heart, to love as He loved.  He requires your mind, to think on that which is good.  He requires your hands, to serve others and give evidence of a faith that is not dead.  He requires your feet, to take you to Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.  And He requires your mouth, that you would be His witness, and speak of all the Holy Spirit will bring to your remembrance.

He is everything you need, but you are what He needs, too.  And to whom much is given, much is required.

~ "You shall open your hand wide to him 
and willingly lend him sufficient for his need, 
whatever he needs." ~
Deuteronomy 15:8

No comments:

Post a Comment