Saturday, June 4, 2011

Not Guilty

"no condemnation"
Romans 8:1

Continuing in our travels in the book of Romans...   This is one of my favorite verses. {Some day I'm gonna have to count how many "favorite" verses I have.  But not today.}

But before we look at this verse in chapter 8, let's look at chapter 7.   One of the things I try to remind myself is that the Bible was not written with chapter and verse ~ those were added later, to make things easier to find.  And a book like Romans is really a letter.  So it's important to remember that Paul wrote it as one document, and even though chapter 7 is separate from chapter 8, they're connected, you know?   So instead of reading chapter 7, and sticking a bookmark in until tomorrow, let's look at chapter 7, and then without stopping, go right into chapter 8.   Ready?

I'm going to start in verse 15.  I alluded to this verse the other day, regarding our inability to achieve salvation through obedience.  So let's start there.

"I do not understand what I do.  For what I want to do, I do not do, but what I hate, I do... As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me.  For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature.  For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out.   For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do - this I keep on doing.   Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it... Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me.    For in my inner being, I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me.  What a wretched man I am!  ... So then, I in my sinful nature, am a slave to sin."

Now, that is some kind of depressing passage, isn't it?   And we can all certainly sing along with Paul in his sentiments.  Despite our good intentions, we can't even live up to our own standards, much less God's.

But then remember:  chapter 7 is followed by... yes, that's right:  chapter 8!  {Why was 6 afraid of 7?  Because 7 8 9 !}  And chapter 8 begins with the amazing promise ~ the rescue to our failures enumerated in chapter 7 ~ "There is therefore now no condemnation..."  Now let's just celebrate those words, shall we?  "No condemnation."  After we admit our helplessness, over and over, in chapter 7, we then breathe a sigh of relief at this verse.  As Forrest Gump might say, "the most beautiful words in the wide world."   "No condemnation ~ for those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit."  This verse is forgiveness and mercy and understanding and compassion ~ and let's face it:  eternal life.  Because that's what condemnation means:  being found guilty, and being appropriately punished.   And how do we avoid condemnation?  Be united with Him, and walk according to the Spirit.

Our best efforts are not enough.  We will fail in our efforts to obey God's law.  That's what sin means:  "missing the mark".   But the promise of Romans 8:1 is that our best efforts are enough.  Abide in Him ~ in prayer and in His Word ~ and you will not be condemned for your failures.   Hallelujah!


~ "Through Christ Jesus, 
the law of the Spirit who gives you life, 
has set you free from the law of sin and death." ~
Romans 8:2

No comments:

Post a Comment