Monday, June 6, 2011

Summertime, summertime, sum-sum-summertime!

"He who gathers in the summer is a wise son"
Proverbs 10:5

Summer is soon upon us in sunny Southern California ~ not my favorite season, but only because I'm not a big fan of hot...  I do enjoy the change in schedule:  sports winding up, Bible study taking a break, and slowing down on school a little, though we never really stop.   Summer is a time to relax from our busyness, do some projects around the house, and ideally, take a vacation.

A flexible schedule, and certainly a vacation, can provide excuses not to pray, and study the Bible as much.  I tell myself I'm enjoying a "brief" respite from the homework of Bible study, but then that "brief" break can last for weeks... I tell myself that projects around the house should be started in the morning, when it's cool, but that justifies a delay in my morning quiet time... and of course, it's perfectly understandable to miss church because of being on vacation.  Or getting ready for vacation.  Or having just returned from vacation...

But then there's this verse in Proverbs.  I'm not crazy about the word "gather" in relation to summer.  "Gathering" and "summer" together just sound so.... hot.  But it says gathering is wise, and who doesn't want to be wise?

There is much to be gathered in summer, and in a way, it's the perfect time.  The structure may be different, and the schedule more flexible, but the rewards are no less great.   His Word still exists in summer, and ways to serve Him are all around, so wisdom and blessings await!

While my body may desire to relax more in the hot months, I want my mind and my soul to be eagerly gathering what He has for me; and what He has for others through me.  I desire to find cool, relaxing, refreshing, invigorating love in the pages of my Bible.  "Summer" is defined as the season in which the sun shines most directly, and I do pray that I will feel the warmth of the Son this summer.


~ "The Lord God is a sun and shield...
no good thing does He withhold 
from those whose walk is blameless." ~
Psalm 84:11

No comments:

Post a Comment