Monday, August 15, 2011

And the winner is....

"worthy to receive glory and honor"
Revelation 4:11

Recently I was channel-surfing ~ the only kind of surfing I can do, by the way ~ and noticed there was an awards show on TV.  I started to think about how many of these are on every year.  Oscars, Tonys, Emmys, Grammys.... those used to be it.  But now MTV has something, and I think Nickelodeon has something, and even the topics already covered ~ like movies ~ are covered more than once.  Not only are there Oscars, but the Golden Globes, and the Screen Actors Guild and who knows what else.

I used to like watching these.  It was fun to see the dresses the women were wearing, and how they had done their hair, etc.  And for a long time, I had my opinion on the winners and losers.  That's not what I would have chosen, I liked that one better, etc.   But I watch so few movies these days.  My tastes have changed, and most of them aren't worth it, and a lot of them are downright offensive.  And I'm not that interested in TV either.  A few shows on Food Network or HGTV, and a lot of baseball games, but not really any sitcoms or dramas.  Talk about offensive....

But they just keep on doing awards shows.  Each one of them, once a year, celebrating the best of the previous year.  (Or the worst, in the case of the Razzies.)  And I'm thinking this would be a great idea.  I'd like to start doing this, in my life, or in the lives of those close to me.  A birthday is an example of a once-a-year celebration that we all know well.  But that's focused on a person; I'm thinking more of accomplishments.  And New Years' is a time when we think about accomplishments, but they are accomplishments we'd like to.... accomplish.  It's forward-looking.  This would be a celebration of things past.

What would that look like?  Imagine looking back at your achievements over the past year.  They wouldn't all have to be good things even, because you can definitely celebrate getting through something difficult.  Or look back at special days.  Memorable, every-day days.

But, of course, credit would have to be given where credit is due.  So these awards would all go to God.

Creator of the Most Fun Day?  ~ God
Provider of the Best Meal? ~ God
Giver of strength on a difficult day?  ~ God
Bringer of peace in a time of anxiety? ~ God
Best rainbow? ~ God
Most beautiful cloud formation? ~ God
Best miracle? ~ God

How much would God appreciate our looking back, and remembering what He has done?  Cuz let's be honest.  We have a tendency to entirely forget to thank Him, and an even worse habit of taking the credit  for things.  I mean, not rainbows, of course.  We just give the sun and rain the credit for that, like rainbows were their idea...

I think we are so encouraged when we look back at what He has done.  Someone once said that hindsight is 20/20.  When we look back, we see more clearly than when we look ahead.  So I'm going to make a note of those days.  Write them down, and then look back ~ on my birthday, or on New Years Day, or maybe on Thanksgiving, or maybe even every August 15th.   Doesn't so much matter what day, nor does it matter how fancy my dress is.   But He'll be there, and if I could see Him, He'd be clothed in shimmering white, surrounded by a rainbow that shines like an emerald.  And He'd accept my praise, because He is worthy.

Facts are facts, whether we acknowledge them or not.  He is ~ He does ~ He will do.  And He deserves to be celebrated for that.

~ "You are worthy, our Lord and God, 
to receive glory and honor and power, 
for You created all things, and by Your will they were created" ~
Revelation 4:11

No comments:

Post a Comment