Thursday, August 18, 2011

Can I see some I.D. please?

"a servant of Christ Jesus, 
called to be an apostle, 
and set apart for the gospel of God"
Romans 1:1

This verse is Paul talking.  He is writing a letter to the church in Rome, to introduce himself to a people he longs to meet.  If I were writing a letter to introduce myself, I doubt I would begin it this way.

Think about how we begin letters to people we've never met, like: "Dear Sirs" or "To Whom it May Concern" or something.  The opening sentence would be fairly formal.  We would tell the recipient whatever information pertains to the body of the letter; or that introduces the reason for writing; or something about us that implies why the recipients should care what we have to say.

Paul's introduction here was to a church.  So his Christianity was a pertinent opening to this letter.  But there's more than just accuracy there, there is passion, too.  For a long time, when I read Paul's epistles, I would practically skim the opening sentence, and even the closing sentence.  "The grace and peace of our Lord Jesus be with you ... blah blah.... whatever," I'd be thinking, "get to the point!"

But the Holy Author of the Bible included every word for a reason.  So we have good reason to pay close attention to the words Paul uses to refer to himself:

       • a servant of Christ Jesus
       • called to be an apostle
       • set apart for the gospel of God

It's not bragging about his exalted position in the kingdom; this is not about Paul's resume.  It is a humble offering of himself, and an honest realization of all that God has for him to do on earth.

Are you, am I, are all these things?  As a servant of Christ Jesus, I need to repeatedly renew my desire to serve my Master.  We are each called to be an apostle, a loyal and devoted follower of God.  Some may be better than others, but no one can out-loyal anyone else!  And we are to be set apart for the gospel of God - consecrated for His use for the furtherance of His kingdom.  We identify ourselves in many different ways, in many different scenarios, but none are more important than these.

I am both His servant and His heir; His daughter and His bride.

Who are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment