Monday, August 22, 2011

Is this why horses wear blinders?

"You follow me"
John 21:22

Most people are very familiar with the conversation Jesus and Peter had after Jesus' resurrection.  We are reminded of Peter's three denials of Jesus when Jesus asks him three times, "Do you love me?"  Each time, Peter answers, "Yes, Lord, You know that I love you".  And Jesus responds, three times, with what He wants Peter's focus to be:  "feed My lambs.... tend My sheep... feed My sheep."

But after this powerful exchange, there is a little more to the conversation.  Peter, still showing his immaturity, points to John, and asks, "But Lord, what about him?"  And Jesus responds:  "What is that to you?  You follow Me."

I have always loved this very pointed reminder that each of us walk a different walk with Him.  There are some things in Scripture that are non-negotiable.  Faith in Jesus is the only way to salvation; and salvation is based on faith, not our works.  But there are different interpretations on other issues, such as how we are to observe the Sabbath, how we understand Biblical food restrictions, or whether it's okay to drink.  We  might have different understandings of what God desires, but we are each to be obedient to our understanding, without stumbling others.

We are also each called to serve Him in different ways.  There are a myriad of ways to love our neighbor:  children, victims of domestic violence, the poor, animals, AIDS victims, veterans... God calls each of us to a different ministry, and we are not to look to those on our right or those on our left.  They are not our standard.  He is.

I was reminded of this passage recently, when I wasn't expecting it.  He often speaks to us that way, doesn't he?  I was at a mandatory gathering for a ministry I'm involved with, and unfortunately, I was a little cranky that day.  I had not slept well two night's in a row, and as someone once said, without enough sleep, we all become very tall two-year-olds....

So as the meeting got started, all I could notice was the people around me.  Those people over there were late (and are perpetually late).... those people weren't sitting with the rest of the group... and those other people were hanging out in the coffee bar, chatting, while the rest of us were meeting.  "It's not fair," I grumbled to myself.... "how come I have to...." and "why do they get to..."  And then very gently, I was reminded of Jesus' words to Peter:  "What is that to you?"

Yes, we might be working our hardest, and watching others achieve with what seems like less work.   We might be doing what's right, and watching others get away with "cheating".   But that's what we get for looking to the right or the left.   My relationship with Him is with Him.  I need only keep my eyes on Him, and obey what He has called me to.


~ "Therefore you shall be careful to do
 as the Lord your God has commanded you; 
you shall not turn aside to the right hand or to the left" ~
Deuteronomy 5:32

No comments:

Post a Comment