Friday, August 12, 2011

The more you need, the more you lack

"at home in my palace, contented and prosperous"
Daniel 4:4

I love the word "content".  It's the combination of "happy" and "at peace".  It covers both outward emotion and inner feeling.  It's what we all should strive for, but it also can be very hard to achieve.

Part of what makes it hard to be content, is that the world is telling us all the things we need to be so:  the right jeans, the right mascara, the right phone service, on and on and on...  But there's a saying I love, by the Greek philosopher Epicurus:  "Nothing is enough for the man for whom enough is not enough."

So today, I'm feeling content.  Here's why.  I've just celebrated my wedding anniversary.  The Apple of my Eye, and I, have been married for 21 wonderful years.  In the next couple of days, his parents will celebrate their 44th, and my parents will celebrate their 51st.  I am married to my best friend, and we have great examples to follow.  What more could I ask for?

Our anniversary dinner did not include any of our favorite restaurants.  Just not in the budget this year.  But our Awesome Girl and Amazing Boy made us dinner.  Candlelight, the fancy silverware, and the sodas of our choice in our wedding stemware.  How sweet and thoughtful are these kids?  They're healthy, smart and beautiful; they love the Lord, and they think of others.  What more could I ask for?

After dinner the four of us sat down to watch one of our favorite shows in TV.  We didn't go to the theater, we didn't attend a sporting event, we just enjoyed our comfortable, cozy home, and each other.  And I really didn't want for anything more.

There are a lot of question marks in our future.  Times are tough, and we're getting through one day, and one week at a time.   And God knows (literally!) that I pray every day for solutions to some of the challenges we are facing.   But every day, when it comes right down to it, I have what I need.  A home, my family, health, and trust in the One who will take care of the future.  Blessings now, and promises for the future.  I have what I need to be content.

~ "content to stay at home" ~
Genesis 25:27

~ "I have calmed and quieted myself... I am content" ~
Psalm 131:2

~ "The righteous eat to their hearts' content" ~
Proverbs 13:25

~ "The fear of the Lord leads to life; then one rests content,
 untouched by trouble" ~
Proverbs 19:23

~ "I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances" ~
Philippians 4:11

~ "Keep your lives free from the love of money
 and be content with what you have,
because God has said, 'Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you' "~
Hebrews 13:5

No comments:

Post a Comment